Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conditional Display of Form Fields

Thanks

You know that by having separate images there for each one, it could just find the main rbg (or rgb, i always forget th order) of the image.

Thanks

There are 5 images each containing 4 words spelled in different colors. Are you thinking each image has just one color?

Thanks

I've been battling this problem myself. One of our big selling points, is that we create standards-based (including WCAG) designs. So, when a recent client needed a CAPTCHA system to prevent spam but also needed it to be accessible, we were a little put off. There isn't currently a good solution out there.

The solution may lie is some wort of humanist, audio hybrid, but the technology simply does not exist.

So, we opted for a simple "logic puzzles": What's the opposite of "cold"? What's 2+2? etc... etc...

That's the best way, we thought, of providing support for the maximum amount of people. Of course, this might prove difficult for people with a cognitive impairment, but that's a loss that we were willing to take.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

kuau (07-30-2008)

Thanks

Dear MM: Yes! That's exactly what I was going to replace it with! Great minds think alike haha. Do you use images or text for the questions? Also I remember seeing a site that showed what colors look like to color-blind people so I thought I could pick some they could see so Jas will be happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Yes! That's exactly what I was going to replace it with! Great minds think alike haha.
    Didn't I suggest that in my last post? I suppose I should have explained it.
    Do you use images or text for the questions?
    You would need to use text so screen readers can read the question. Otherwise blind people still wouldn't be able to get past it.
    Also I remember seeing a site that showed what colors look like to color-blind people so I thought I could pick some they could see so Jas will be happy.
    lol.

By the way, I wouldn't throw away the old CAPTCHA program. Eventually you might be able to make it work.
    --Jas
    function GreatMinds(){ return "Think Like Jas"; }
    I'm gone for a while, but in the meantime: Try using my FTP script | Fight Bot Form Submissions

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jas For This Useful Post:

kuau (07-30-2008)

Thanks

Hey Medyman, I was wondering how your captcha was doing... does it keep out bots 100%? Jas, I looked at your captcha code..very cool. Thanks for that.

It would be useful to know exactly what bots are able to do these days. Obviously they can use digital character recognition seeing as all the captcha programs are aimed at foiling that, and according to motormichael12 they can read the main RGB of an image, but what else? Do they maintain databases of what they have tried on a given page and just keep plugging away until they get it, and then add that to a table of correct responses? ie. can they 'learn'? Who owns these bots? Who puts them out there? Is there a way to filter what bots can crawl your site, like in robots.txt or something? Could the browser-writers incorporate code to enable us to do that eventually? How do bots get past the javascript on my forms to check for blanks, and submit blank entries? Why do they even bother doing this? Why can't everybody just get along????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Jas, I looked at your captcha code..very cool. Thanks for that.
    Still needs work, though. Haven't had time to finish it up. But your welcome.

It would be useful to know exactly what bots are able to do these days. Obviously they can use digital character recognition seeing as all the captcha programs are aimed at foiling that, and according to motormichael12 they can read the main RGB of an image, but what else? Do they maintain databases of what they have tried on a given page and just keep plugging away until they get it, and then add that to a table of correct responses? ie. can they 'learn'?
    Depending on who made the bot, it's possible that the bot can "learn," however, there are two problems. One, the bot has to figure out the right answers first. Two, since the question is randomly generated it still has to match the question with the answer. Hopefully bots aren't smart enough to do both. Admittedly, the random question is probably the least secure, but it's also the least used form of CAPTCHA.

Who owns these bots? Who puts them out there?
    Miserable nerds with no life. I don't know how many of them actually have a reason to do what they do. For example, the guy that attacked the DD forums a few months ago. Why did he do it?

Is there a way to filter what bots can crawl your site, like in robots.txt or something?
    . . . I thought we were talking about spam. You can get rid of crawlers like this.

Could the browser-writers incorporate code to enable us to do that eventually? How do bots get past the javascript on my forms to check for blanks, and submit blank entries? Why do they even bother doing this? Why can't everybody just get along????
    The problem is not in web browsers. Bots don't always need to go through a web browser. And, since they don't always go through browsers, the JavaScripts won't do anything against them. Even if a bot does go through a web browser, JavaScript can be disabled.

BTW: I had another idea as well. I assume the information is stored in a MySQL table? You could always limit the number of submissions per hour per IP address.
    --Jas
    function GreatMinds(){ return "Think Like Jas"; }
    I'm gone for a while, but in the meantime: Try using my FTP script | Fight Bot Form Submissions