Thread: what is a good web site making program for linux?

Thanks

Lightbulb what is a good web site making program for linux?

i am knew to programming . i am only 13. please help me learn how to create a web page.

Thanks

Kate is a good text editor.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is NVU ( http://nvu.com/index.html ).

cr3ative
    A retired member, drop me a line through my site if you'd like to find me!
    cr3ative media | read the stickies

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Everything you need:

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    ... Windows (what I and most folks use).
    'Nuff said.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

I sort of resent being quoted out of context in this particular case. I was going to suggest Kate as well but, because I do use windows, I was waiting for others with more linux experience to chime in. Surly there must be a beginner WYSIWYG type html editor for linux though. A quick Google found:

http://nvu.com/

Any of you 'nix folks know about this one?

Eventually, ihungry will want to use an editor like vim or Kate but, to get started a WYSIWYG editor can help with the basics. If Firefox's HTML editor works on linux then it may be a good choice but, my experience with Mozilla web editors is that they are poorly documented and hard to configure especially if you are just starting out. What ihungry needs is an out of the box type thing, I would think.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cr3ative
    I can suggest NVU ( http://nvu.com/index.html ).

It's quite a competent little program. Doesn't come with many (or any?) templates though.
    A retired member, drop me a line through my site if you'd like to find me!
    cr3ative media | read the stickies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihungry
    please help me learn how to create a web page.
    This might be an odd question for you, but can I ask what your goals are? Do you want invest effort into learning, or just get results? They are two different roads, really.

For just results, finding a WYSIWYG program is probably going to be your first task. The code that such software produces is generally rubbish, but you'll be able to produce the design you want without too much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    A decent browser is certainly necessary. Web development should be based around standards-compliant software like Firefox or Opera. Internet Explorer should be avoided until you've pretty much finished, when you can add fix-ups to deal with its inadequacies.

Ughh!

A good introduction is certainly necessary, but I've never been sure what to make of W3 Schools (not to be confused with the W3C!)

Eventually, anyone serious about Web development must read the HTML and CSS specifications.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

All good advice so far.

To cr3:

Ooops, missed that you recommended NVU.

And to all:

How about this one:

http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Overview.html

Sounds like it might even make Mike happy.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Maybe. I've never used it. However, its CSS support is quite lacking in the browser component, which means you may not be able to use it to preview what you've produced.

Sounds like it might even make Mike happy.

Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I sort of resent being quoted out of context in this particular case.
    Sorry. But the point still stands
    I have used Amaya, and it's not at all good for actually viewing pages in. Last time I looked, it didn't have frame support.
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting with a WYSIWYG designer. A nice web IDE is http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/. I never knew that WYSIWYG web design programs existed until I'd already learnt basic HTML. Once you understand the code, you can begin taking shortcuts. Before that, not a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwinter
    Internet Explorer should be avoided until you've pretty much finished, when you can add fix-ups to deal with its inadequacies.
    He already said he was running on Linux. IE, luckily, doesn't figure in the equation
    Quote Originally Posted by mwinter
    Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    Ughh!
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!