Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transparent object in IE

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have IE on my other ME computer. It is version 4.0. The script works perfectly on my internet browser.... Wonder why....

-magicyte

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have IE 6.0.
    ---
    Arie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No wonder. In each version there is a differing way to code styles and the appearences. Other than this, I do not know what to do. Try Firefox. It will work there.

-magicyte

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 3,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

In FF it isn't shining through, it's superimposed upon the object. IE and other browsers have occasionally had elements that acted like this. Selects in IE up to v 7 did this. Opera did it with iframe until rather recently. The object tag isn't really all that widely supported yet, and obviously still has some quirks.

I'm not even aware of what the spec is on something like this, but it doesn't seem all that wrong considering that the Google page has background, and should be able to cover the local text, except that even when I stack it properly, it still doesn't superimpose.

This seems to work, but it is no longer an object tag in IE:

Code:
    <div style="position:absolute;top:100px">shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through </div>
    <!--[if IE]>
    <iframe  src="http://www.google.com" height="410px" width="400px" frameborder=0></iframe>
    <![if !IE]>
    <![endif]-->
    <object type="text/html" data="http://www.google.com" height="400px" width="400px"></object>
    <!--[if IE]>
    <![endif]>
    <![endif]-->
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That is very odd. Oh, well. Case closed.

-magicyte

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    In FF it isn't shining through, it's superimposed upon the object.
    John, that's a better formulation.
    Anyhow, using <iframe> for IE and <object> for non-IE is not an option (for me). If we have to use iframes (thanks, IE), then we might as well use them for non-IE. I' was hoping to have an IE-workaround allowing us to have text etc. to be superimposed upon the object.
    ===
    Arie.
    Last edited by molendijk; 07-03-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Correction

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, you have on the one hand what you want, on the other - what will work. Make your own choice. Object is more valid (forward looking) than is iframe, however the actual installed base of browser's support for your code is what you ultimately must deal with. The conditionals could be set differently:

Code:
    <div style="position:absolute;top:100px">shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through shine through </div>
    <!--[if lte IE 7]>
    <iframe  src="http://www.google.com" height="410px" width="400px" frameborder=0></iframe>
    <![if !IE]>
    <![endif]-->
    <object type="text/html" data="http://www.google.com" height="400px" width="400px"></object>
    <!--[if lte IE 7]>
    <![endif]>
    <![endif]-->
    Then assuming I've got that right, and that IE 8, which is supposed to be so compliant, agrees with FF, and Opera on the behavior of the object tag, you would almost have your cake and eat it too. I cannot, however vouch for IE 8 in this regard. It would help to know the specification, even more to test in IE 8.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Object is more valid (forward looking) than is iframe
    That is indeed the whole reason for what I was looking for.
    Thanks,
    ===
    Arie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I figured, so my thinking is that you use what works in the older IE, and as IE improves (hopefully with version 8) you no longer rely on the potentially outdated code. Validators will not check what is in the comment blocks and only those versions of IE that you know can handle it will ever even parse it. The best of both worlds.
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, that seems the best way to tackle the problem.
    Thanks John,
    ---
    Arie.