Thread: template?

Thanks

Default template?

Hi,

First off, I just want to say how much I'm loving this forum and am glad I finally have a strong resource to help me in my web endeavors. I just graduated from undergrad (art school) with a degree in design, but have been moving into web almost full time. I've designed many of css/html and flash sites in the past, but have taken on the freelance projects typically on my own. However, I have a client that wants to me to develop a template that they can work from. I realize this sounds like a newby-out-of-school question, but how do I do this? Here is the quote -

"So for your part we'd need all the front end html/css for 3 templates: home, sub, and sub variation. Please provide an estimate for that in cost and calendar days after June 20th. "

I mean, of course I know how to build the site lol, but will the client understand what the "float" or "inherent" property is? Will they know that I applied a 20px margin to the header for example? Again, looking back, EVERY site that I've built I either designed myself and coded, or coded someone else's design. But, I've never made a "template" before. I assume once I finish this project I should have a series of instructions as to how the site was made and how to update it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this is a complete "business-newby" question.

~ Regards
    Steve Case

Thanks

Just from your post, it sounded like your client is going to be handing the front end over to someone that can do the back end...

but in either case, I wouldn't worry too much about them understanding how you did the layout, as long as the nav + content area + possible secondary nav are flexible, and won't break too easily. It sounds like if you were going to leave some notes on the design, that it would be a good idea (maybe leave comments in the CSS), but it probably isn't even necessary.

Steve, out of curiosity, do you have a portfolio?

Just my 2 cents.
    -Matt

Thanks

Matt I do have a portfolio, however since I want to work on web, I don't have all of my print stuff up on the site. Also, I've been so busy with my thesis, graduation, and freelance that I have yet to actually finish the design of it. Therefore it is just a list of links to web work that I've done over the past year. I'll PM it to you since I don't want to show it off yet . Also, thanks for the reply! it was helpful.

~ Regards
    Steve