Thread: controlling flash with html

Thanks

Default controlling flash with html

hi all. I know a bit about flash and html but don't know much about how to control them together. I have a test page for a hub site that I'm doing that needs to be html/css. However, a flash component was asked for. The client wants a bit of motion without the site being full flash. This is a sketch of the site. When you click on history you can see a .swf file with a transparent background slide overtop the image of the furniture. However, if you then click on showrooms, a new swf has to load. Is there a way to just make one .swf file for all of the links on the left and control what flash frame should play or stop with the html links that I have. Any help or resources would be greatly appreciated.

~ Regards
    Steve

Thanks

There are two ways you could do this:

1. The easiest way would be to bring the navigation into Flash. Then you can use internal ActionScript commands to execute whatever animation that you require. I would assume you know how to do this from the Flash that you're already using.

2. The second way is to use javascript. You can't control .swf directly through HTML, but Javascript can using the External API. Through the External API, you could call different frames and/or functions within the movie when a navigation button/link is clicked.

Is that what you're looking for? You can find a lot of resources on the External API by a simple Google search. I'm a little busy today or I'd find you some resources.

If you have any troubles, post back.

HTH