Thread: Variable values vanish in php5 but not php4

Thanks

Default Variable values vanish in php5 but not php4

I have a form on a page that when submitted goes to a result page that displays the values that were entered in the form. In php4 it works fine, but in php5 the variable values do not carry through from the form page to the result page. The result page has all blank values. I have changed the globals to $_POST variables on the result page but they are still blank.

Is this a code problem or do I need to change a setting in php.ini or ??? Has anyone else encountered this when migrating code to php5? Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Thanks

Either you need to provide a link to your page or the code you use otherwise it is difficult to identify the problems.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to codeexploiter For This Useful Post:

kuau (05-26-2008)

Thanks

This became a non-issue. As soon as the DNS pointing had been changed (and propagated), the code worked just fine. So if anyone is in the process of moving a domain from one host to another and the site does not work properly on the new host, don't get all stressed out as I did. You can expect anomalies to occur in the site functioning that will resolve themselves as soon as the propagation has completed.

I actually found php5 to be quite forgiving in terms of accepting old php4 code without choking. It is just very alarming during the transitional phase when nothing seems to be functioning the way it did on the old host. I should have just changed the DNS and gone to bed!

PS. However, I would strongly recommend that you make sure the client has access to webmail on both the new and old hosts before you change the DNS. Don't even try to have them change the POP and smtp settings until after the propagation is totally finished. The MX record propagation does NOT coincide with the DNS propagation and people become unhinged when they cannot get their mail.
    Last edited by kuau; 06-01-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: issue resolved