Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Translate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Google Translate

It appears someone at Google has gotten bored lately.
    January 24, 2002:
    Attachment 1772
    January 5, 2005:
    Attachment 1773
    March 15, 2007:
    Attachment 1774
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks
    Blog Entries

May 14, 2008:
    Attachment 1775
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

I'm skeptical of that. I expect that they all run through English, and since English is so broken, you'll end up with really weird stuff.

EDIT: It's absolutely going through English [tested it], which is a terrible idea. First time I've strongly disagreed with google, but that's really idiotic. Word for word translations from Italian to Spanish will VERY often be better than anything with today's publicly available technology put through English in the middle. Nonsense.

Now, on the other hand, it's good that you can so easily translate between two languages that aren't English, thus saving yourself one step of conversion, but it's no better than the results we could have had before this new input menu was constructed. It's really misleading as well.

Example:
    Spanish: Me llamo Daniel.
    Expected Italian: Mi chiamo Daniel.
    [English translation: My name is Daniel.]
    Resulting Italian: Il mio nome è Daniel.
    And that's just not what someone would say in Italian-- it should match the Spanish exactly.

The much better idea would be to not fix it for English-- rather, just translate to broken English, then go from there. But I guess that assumes the languages are related. If you went from Chinese to Russian, and through English, this method would probably give better results.
    Last edited by djr33; 05-15-2008 at 04:28 AM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

From what I heard Google wants to perfect this within few years so they can translate any webpages on the net and interchangeably. Hope to see this happen!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

as you can see they are very close:
    [Jasme Library (Javascript Motion Effects)] My Site
    /\/\@§†ê® §©®¡þ† /\/\@|{ê®
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HostV View Post
    From what I heard Google wants to perfect this within few years so they can translate any webpages on the net and interchangeably. Hope to see this happen!
    That is totally impossible. Even if Google were able to resolve all the syntactical problems pertaining to translating (sequences of) sentences from one language into another language, they would face an enormous range of other types of problems, among which metaphors (taken in their broadest sense). For instance, in Dutch you can say 'he took the legs' to refer to someone who got away quickly. In French, you would say 'he took the legs into his neck' in these circumstances. In India, people say 'she walks like an elephant' to indicate the graciousness of the walking, whereas English speakers would prefer 'she walks like a gazelle' (or something like that; I'm not sure), etc.
    ===
    Arie Molendijk
    Last edited by molendijk; 07-17-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Correction

Thanks

Translation is always imperfect; however, it would be possible to get a literal translation to work properly.
    On the other hand, using AI it would be possible to design a learning computer that would function as the human mind does, perhaps reading books in each language to learn. Certainly nothing simple, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

i agree with djr33
    Translation is always imperfect
    You might not get the exact meaning/ emotion across to the receiver if you translate it.

good luck to google in translating the pages then, perhaps they could prove us wrong

Thanks
    Blog Entries

On the other hand, using AI it would be possible to design a learning computer that would function as the human mind does, perhaps reading books in each language to learn. Certainly nothing simple, though.
    Interestingly, that is exactly what Google is attempting to do (and how it differs from other translation solutions on the market, such as Apartium or SysTram). Google Translate is fed large amounts of bilingual text, with correspondences in meaning indicated to it, and stores the frequency of each translation, using this to guess the most appropriate translation.

I strongly doubt that they use English as an intermediate language; if they do, it would only be as a fall-back, when no direct translation were available.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I strongly doubt that they use English as an intermediate language; if they do, it would only be as a fall-back, when no direct translation were available.
    No... I'm positive they do. That's how it goes from one to the other... through English. It used to not be available from one to another, because they didn't have the algorithms. I fully believe they are trying to slowly replace this with real language to language parsers, in time, though.