Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DHTML] Dotgyan - Live Search enhancement tool for selected text on a webpage

Thanks

Default [DHTML] Dotgyan - Live Search enhancement tool for selected text on a webpage

1) CODE TITLE: Dotgyan - Live Search enhancement tool for selected text on a webpage

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Vineet Kumar

3) DESCRIPTION: Dotgyan is a web-based live search enhancement tool that allows the readers of a blog or a webpage to search for some text they want to look-up on Google or Wikipedia. It also lets the user to see the definition of a word by selecting it and looking in wiktionary.
    It is different from other such tools that allow such search of selected text in the way that it is browser independent and the user need not search for a plugin and install it. It can be easily installed by the web-master on the webpage.
    Please follow the link provided below in "URL TO CODE" to download the ".zip" file and to see a demo of Dotgyan.
    unzip the file and read the "README" file for instructions on how to install it on your webpage.
    For another live demo you may visit the blog
    http://binaryday.com
    where it is installed.

for any queries feel free to contact me at vineet7kumar@gmail.com

4) URL TO CODE: http://longlivethepc.com/dotgyan/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is very cool.
    Jeremy | jfein.net

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nile For This Useful Post:

vineet7kumar (04-21-2008)

Thanks

Might be improved in the sense of usability and graphical issues but it is really a very nice and good script

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BYK For This Useful Post:

vineet7kumar (04-21-2008)

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I am still working to improve on it and add more features.
    It will be very great if you can give me some suggestions on how to improve it more, specially the installation which is still a bit cumbersome.

I am planning to write a program which takes the HTML file as input and automatically rewrites the body part.

Thanks

You're welcome

For the installation, hmm. It is not a good way rewriting the body part. Instead, your script should attach itself to the body onload, and create the necessary elements automatically

Thanks

hmmm... I'll do that

Thanks

Not a good demo. Try better later.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-23-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Remove Over Sized Text

Thanks

Hi Neel,
    Thanks for the huge comment. I will really appreciate if you can also give some advice on how to improve the demo.

PS:People out here can read smaller fonts

Thanks

Hey Vineet...

Great work. That's a really cool idea. I'm not sure about the absolute utility of it, but in certain situations, it definitely could be.

A couple suggestions/things to work on:
    Thing to work on: I'm playing a little hide-and-seek with the bullet that comes up after you highlight. I'm not sure if there is a timeout function (i.e. the ball dissapears after a certain time). If there is, you might want to extend it. If not, then look into why it goes away after you're over it for more than a second.

Suggestions: Targetting specific elements. Going back to my first comment, I don't see something like this being necessary for an entire site. In fact, it could kind of get in the way. But, if I'm writing a blog post and I include some technical terminology which my readers might not know, it would be awesome if I could specify a CSS selecter in the script and then use something like <a class="selector" href="#"> and have the script by just clicking on it. Or even do something like only target the <acronym> tag.

Or retain the selection bit, and be able to target a certain div based on id's or classes.

Just some thoughts. Do with them what you will. Great work though. Keep it up.

- Vishal

Thanks

Thanks Vishal for the comments and suggestions.
    As of the dot going away after a certain time-out, I just realized after your post that it will hide away after time out even if the pointer is on it (which should not be). I will rectify that.
    Another thing, yes It will be particularly useful with specially blogs and webpages with large amount of text-content.

I'll work on your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Viny