Thread: I want a preload image with progress bar for multiple fade-in slideshow

Thanks

Default I want a preload image with progress bar for multiple fade-in slideshow

Hey man

Ive eventually sussed how to get 3 fade-in slideshows on one page with text inbetween.
    www.craighood.com Go to the queens view page.
    I would like a progress bar for each animation, as these take a while to load especially on a 56k connection.
    The progress bar would only be used untill the first image of each animation was loaded. After that it would have to dissappear.
    I would also like some comments about the size/quality of the slideshows. Ive tried to compress the photos a lot to make loading quicker, do you think the loading time is ok or far too long?

Cheers Man

Waigy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Using a program like xat.com's image optimizer pro (free trial available), I found I could compress your images to about 63% of their current file size without significant loss of quality (jpeg quality 48). Reducing the dimensions (resizing) and/or cropping the images would reduce this further. A progress bar would do little to enhance the page. I'd suggest putting each animation on a separate page. Then you could use links on the current page to load them. You could also provide a smaller lower res link for folks to choose if they are surfing at 96k.

Nice work capturing the construction progress!
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for the reply jscheuer1

I will use the image optimiser program.
    Do you think the animations take too long to load as they are,or is the load time normal for something this size?

Bye now

Waigy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have a cable modem and the load time wasn't too bad. I'm certain it would seem like forever with 96k dial-up though. Yes, this is normal for images of this file size. Using the separate pages idea will cut down on the individual slideshow load times as will compressing, cropping and resizing.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate