Advanced Search

Thread: Override CSS?

Thanks

Default Override CSS?

Hi Everyone,

My friend is taking a class at a Technical College and is learning all of the depreciated stuff. CSS is a small portion of this class and they were told that Level 2 will include more CSS. When they asked the teacher why they were learning so much depreciated coding he replied, "you need to know the old way because you will need to override your CSS at times". Can anyone tell me if they have ever used depreciated code to override their CSS? I have not so I am interested in finding out if this really happens.

Thank you for your time~
    Sandy K

Thanks

Really, it seems like you're arbitrarily using "depreciated" to describe any method other than CSS.

CSS has its uses, but there are cases when other options work as well. It's not really depreciated in some cases. Certainly using CSS for your overall layout is best, but starting with the simpler version makes some sense, too.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I'm not really assigning the word depreciated to anything other than CSS but when I first took my classes, we learned about the old way but didn't style our pages using it. We were shown what the old way was, but we were told to do our assignments the new way.. with CSS. She has learned tables... and that's not that bad, because she may use tables in some sort and she may run into the client that wants their table pages brought into CSS and then she would need to know how tables work. But she is learning for about 6 lessons now, how to style the page like this:
    <hr style="color: blue; background-color: blue; height: 3; width: 100%" />
    <hr style="color: blue; background-color: blue; height: 3; width: 100%" />

I think you know what I mean. She hasn't yet, in 6 lessons learned the DOCTYPE. She hasn't yet learned how to validate. On some of her pages, the images can only be seen in IE - so she is not learning how to create web pages for all borwsers.. and yet she is on lesson 6. I guess I am really upset "for her" as her teacher has made excuses not to be in class and then when it should be at least 1 1/2 hours of lecture every week, is only getting 1/2 hour. She paid $210 for the class and I am wondering if she isn't getting her monies worth, especially when she is not learning the basics. Validating, DOCTYPE and even CSS.

I didn't mean to assign everything to the word depreciated. I have also been taught the old way, but that's it.. taught that it existed but not told to style my pages with it.

Thanks for your response.

Sandy K