Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: merging animated gifs

Thanks

Default merging animated gifs

I have five small animated gifs (five spinning letters of the alphabet). Is it possible to merge these gifs into one file so that when it is launched it spells a word? First post on this forum. Thanks in anticipation. Regards. db.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

There might be some kind of tricky way to do this easily however, most likely you will need to create a new animated gif file using a robust animated gif program like Animation Shop (there are many others). In Animation Shop you would be able to load each separate animation and copy from each one those frames you desire for inclusion into your new file, cropping, resizing and otherwise tailoring each frame to work well together.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks a lot jscheuer1. I have got Animation Shop. What would be useful is a simple tutorial for this kind of work. Any ideas? Cheers. db.

Thanks

I forgot to add that the five animations do not need editing, cropping, resizing or anything like that. They just need to be 'fused' together.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I am not aware of any. Try Googling 'merging animated gifs' or 'merging animated gifs Animation Shop'.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks again jscheuer1. I've been researching this little nutmeg for weeks...unfortunately, nobody seems to be able to supply a definitive answer, so I might have to conclude that it simply is just not possible...although from experience, a resolution or work around tends to crop up eventually if one perseveres!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, it shouldn't be that hard. Have you ever used Animation Shop? Once you load in a gif animation, you can view, copy or export its individual frames. Creating a new animation is pretty straight forward. You can paste the images into Paint Shop for editing then paste them into your new animation. All animation work is a bit tedious but, definitely doable.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 06-04-2005 at 10:46 PM.
    - John

Thanks

Cheers jscheuer1. I have used Animation Shop briefly and remain a novice. However, I just had a play with it and I got a very good although somewhat unexpected result. I loaded letter 1 and added letters 2,3,4,5 in subsequent frames. What I now have, instead of five animated letters all rotating side by side is a one letter animation which on completion of one cycle of each rotating letter, changes to the next letter and so on to spell my proposed signture. It's not what I really want but it looks very good! I just can't seem to conceptualise what I need to do to get the five letters spinning side by side. So at the moment I've achieved S then I then G then N then S rather than SIGNS. Any further help would be welcome. Thanks in anticipation. db.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think you need to increase the canvass size and put each frame from each animation together on one frame. For example:

Frame one of your new animation will be as wide as s + i + g + n + s widths put together. then in frame one of the new animation paste frame one of each individual letter side to side. Repeat this process for however many frames you want the new animation to have.

If some of the letters have more total frames than the others you will have to decide wether to skip a few or to duplicate the content from the letters with fewer frames to compensate.
    - John

Thanks

you could just import the gifs into flash, and export hte whole thing as an swf... if you know how to embed and have flash