Thread: Smart Folding Tree Menu

Thanks

Default Smart Folding Tree Menu

Hi there,

I've been using the Smart Folding Tree Menu quite successfully, HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to be compatible with Internet Explorer on a Mac. Is there a code fix that I can incorporate to enable this script to be used in IE for Mac?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

IE Mac was a wonderful browser for its time but, it seems to have outlived its purpose. Unless you are constrained to an environment were IE Mac is unavoidable, it would be best to ignore it, suggesting to users that they upgrade to Firefox, Netscape7.2 or Safari. Having no Mac to test on, I would be hard pressed to come up with a solution. IE Mac recognizes both document.all and document.getElementById and uses some aspects of the box model (rendering of elements) from early Netscape (ver 4.x) and some from IE5 and is a little buggy, making it difficult to predict how it will react to modern code. If you are inclined to trouble shoot this yourself, an excellent resource is Quirks Mode Website. Best to have a Mac to test on as well. I or others here may be able to help more if you can tell us just what it is doing and/or provide a screen shot of the problem.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

One other thought, something I could help you with is to add some code that will either turn off the script for IE Mac, so it will see just the page as displayed without javascript enabled (which I believe is an unordered list of choices), or provide code to simply render the entire menu invisible to IE Mac, or provide code to serve up alternate content to IE Mac.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hi John,

Thank you for the information. The only example I can give is that when you go to click on the menu button in IE for Mac, nothing happens. The folding tree menu will not open. It feels like a dead link.

You had kindly mentioned that you may be able to offer up alternate content to IE for Mac?

Thanks

Another quick note. If you're able to view the example from a Mac, please click to the site I've designed for this client at
    http://www.photographersgallery.com

I'm not sure if this will help, but perhaps you can take a look at the code just to make sure all is good.

Thank you in kind!
    Niles
    www.olivodesign.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Still no Mac but, I took a look at your page. You use many href="#"'s, why? The technical meaning of the href="#" is 'reload the page from the top' This probably is happening in IE Mac, it is happening in NS7.2, result - what seems like dead links, just as you said. If you remove the href="#"'s it should fix IE Mac or maybe at least make it work a bit better. Also, since you are not using the folder images, you should change the style to:
    Code:
    <style>
    #foldheader {
    cursor:hand;
    cursor:pointer;
    }
    </style>
    - John

Thanks

Thanks John!

I really appreciate your help.