Advanced Search

Thread: I need to populate a form based on automatically detected geographic variables..

Thanks

Default I need to populate a form based on automatically detected geographic variables..

Hey guys! Been a lurker here for quite some time, as I'm good at learning without asking questions.

Today though, I am stumped. I know it's possible, and probably with just a few lines of code, but I just can't quite figure this one out.

Here's what I need to do..

I have three javascript variables that I need to populate my PayPal forms with, to making their shopping experience easier. While not the best solution, and hopefully not a permanent one, I have to settle for this script because I can't even begin to comprehend what a custom, field-updating country drop-down menu with exchange rate lookup would be like to code, and I just don't have that kind of brain power yet!

In the mean time, I have these three variables.. which I get via these scripts (the second script is just an example of how to use the variables in their own right)..

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://gd.geobytes.com/gd?&variables=GeobytesCountry,GeobytesIso2,GeobytesCurrencyCode"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">document.write(sGeobytesCountry+","+sGeobytesIso2+","+sGeobytesCurrencyCode);</script>
    Okay, so what I'd like to do is populate the three values marked with a "__" here..

Code:
    <form target="paypal" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post" name="pp">
    	<input type="image" src="images/atc.png" name="submit" alt="">
    	<input type="hidden" name="add" value="1">
    	<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_cart">
    	<input type="hidden" name="business" value="john@doe.com">
    	<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="Product">
    	<input type="hidden" name="amount" value="__">
    	<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="2">
    	<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="__">
    	<input type="hidden" name="lc" value="__">
    	<input type="hidden" name="bn" value="PP-ShopCartBF">
    </form>
    The last two variables are pretty straightforward, where the "currency_code" value refers to the (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) variable, and the "lc" value refers to the (sGeobytesIso2) variable.

The "amount" value is where it unfortunately gets ugly though. I need it to be derived from the (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) variable and follow some conditioning, like:

if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is USD / then "amount" value is $37
    else
    if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is CAD / then "amount" value is $36
    else
    if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is EUR / then "amount" value is $24
    else
    if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is GBP / then "amount" value is $19
    else
    if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is AUD / then "amount" value is $40
    else
    if (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) is XXX / then "amount" value is $37 USD

..all remaining currencies are converted to USD upon checkout.. I just need that last rule as a catch-all. PayPal fortunately ignores any currency code it does not support or recognize.

Also, now that I think about it, it would be nice to have each currency code dynamically load the appropriate image -- to show as the add-to-cart button. I was thinking something like:

Code:
    <input type="image" src="images/atc__.png" name="submit" alt="">

where "__" refers to the (sGeobytesCurrencyCode) variable.
    ----------------------------------

So what kind of script could I use to perform this kind of action with? I hope it's a simple one! Lemme know if there's still not enough information to go off of though, kay.

----------------------------------

Well thank you very much for reading this lengthy post, and I look forward to learning a thing or two from you guys today! Hopefully someday I can learn enough to be in your position, and return the favor to some other newbie.

Sincerely,
    William
    Last edited by zoinbergs; 03-04-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks

Just figured it all out..

Code:
    function amount(countryCode) {
        var price = {
            'USD': 37,
            'CAD': 36,
            'AUD': 40
        };
        // if no countryCode has been defined, return as a default the USD value
        return price[countryCode] || price['USD'];
    }

document.getElementById('currencyImage').src = 'atc' + sGeobytesCurrencyCode + '.png';

Until next time!

-Will