Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webservers: going online?

Thanks

Thank you! I have a feeling I'll be checking that stuff out a lot over the next few months. In any case, what is it that I do with http://www.dyndns.com/? After that, I should be set.
    --Jas
    function GreatMinds(){ return "Think Like Jas"; }
    I'm gone for a while, but in the meantime: Try using my FTP script | Fight Bot Form Submissions

Thanks

Read this info here: http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/

Long story short, you purchase the domain, pay for the dyndns services, then you have to update your dynamic IP address everytime you connect (or at least, every time it changes). You're better off just asking your ISP for a static IP address and (if needed), pay that one-time fee so that you can just use your default DNS control panel whenever you purchase the domain.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thetestingsite For This Useful Post:

Jas (03-06-2008)

Thanks

I'll see if I can switch to static. But, in case I can't, is that the same thing http://freedns.afraid.org/ ? Because afraid.org is supposedly free.
    --Jas
    I'm gone for a while, but in the meantime: Try using my FTP script | Fight Bot Form Submissions

Thanks

It should work, but of course you still have to update the information whenever your ip changes (which can be a hassle if you forget about it, or whatever other case). Something that I failed to mention is that if you want to host on your own connection, check with your ISP to make sure that it does not go against their TOS as it could cause you to lose your connection altogether or they can charge you "penalty fees" for it.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Thanks

Thanks again! I hadn't thought of the TOS.

What ISP's would be good for hosting a site? What do people "typically" use? (loosely speaking.)
    --Jas

Thanks

Usually, you would get the bandwidth from a Tier 1 or Tier 2 (at the very least) provider. That way you are basically right there on the internet backbone. Also, this can get very expensive (line costs, monthly fees, bandwidth allocation fees [not usually, but I have run into this one before], etc). Other than that, your best bet would be to host with a company that is already set up (as to not have to worry about your connection speeds to your home server or any downtime that you may have due to power issues, internet connection issues, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks again. This is really helpful information! Can you give me an example of an ISP that meets that criteria?
    --Jas

Thanks

Jas,

It's not clear to me if you want to host yourself our use a hosting provider! I use dyndns and you don't have to buy a domainname for your testing. If you want a "full" domainname and host it yourself you can use dyndns. Especially if you have a changing ip number. If you find a hostingservice they will most likely handle your dns service.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hmm. Your right-- I don't think I ever actually said that I am trying to host it myself. It was kind of implied, though, I thought.

Anyway, right now I am looking into the ISP thing. I can't seem to find one that meets the criteria thetestingsite gave me.
    --Jas

Thanks
    Blog Entries