Thread: What is the most efficient way for a user to modify the homepage online, please help

Thanks

Default What is the most efficient way for a user to modify the homepage online, please help

Hello there,

The best I can think of, is to fill out a form with PHP, and thus modify the database in MySQL. But this seems to me a bit cumbersome. I have heard that there are people (owners of domains, not web designers) who can modify the contents of their pages simply by logging into the site. If you could suggest a good way to do this, I would be immensely grateful.

Best regards,

Phil.

Thanks

They most likely use a Content Management System (CMS). You can find such programs in script directories, or you can build your own. One that I've used before and liked was Expanse CMS It used to be a commercial product, but then they stopped supporting it. You can get it for free now by looking at the source code on that page and copying out the url to the zip folder.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Default Thanks for your reply

Thanks for the tip regarding the CMS. I actually taught myself Typo3 for this purpose, but at the end it happened that the user had to know a little bit of this program anyway and have it installed in her computer, in order to be able to modify the contents of the page, although this seemed much easier than having to know HTML, etc. I will check this Expanse CMS program. I am still intrigued by people who say they can modify the contents of their pages without any knowledge about any program at all.

Thanks

I am still intrigued by people who say they can modify the contents of their pages without any knowledge about any program at all.
    That is due to [strike]the wonderful world of[/strike] WYSIWYG editors (whether they be web-based or not). I had once written my own editor for the ISP I worked for in order for our customers to have their own personal webpages; but we ended up not using it because not that many of our customers wanted to have these personal webpages.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could use a wiki, perhaps, see www.seedwiki.com or www.wikidot.com .

Arie Molendijk.

Thanks

Default Thanks

Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I have met someone here who says he knows how to do this. Letīs hope it will work out.

Best regards,

Phil.