Thread: Positioning problem with Drop Down/Overlapping Content Script

Thanks

Default Positioning problem with Drop Down/Overlapping Content Script

1) Script Title: Drop Down/Overlapping Content Script

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...lapcontent.htm

3) Describe problem: Unusual problem . . .

Using Drop Down / Overlapping Content Script in both IE7 and Firefox 2.0 For purposes of testing, and before submitting this post, I disabled all other scripts in HTML code.

The problem: In IE7 the script opens to bottom-right the first time the code is activated (mouse-over). My setting is for bottom-left. After the first activation, this script then positions correctly each time at bottom-left. I am not having this problem with Firefox.

No matter what setting I choose (tested all four positions), the script always opens bottom-right on the first activation with IE7. Iím unsure about what to change because after the first activation the script works perfectly. Again, I am not having this problem with Firefox.

Any ideas?

After further testing . . .

(By the way, I am trying to use the drop down feature to display a search feature very similar to the DD website demo.)

It appears this script is also not working well with my ZoomSearch Search Engine. If I double click the empty search input field to see prior searches, and then attempt to move the cursor to select text from the search input field drop down box, the DD script releases the entire drop down window and everything closes at that point.

Is my use of this script appropriate?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by virtual9; 01-16-2008 at 07:12 AM. Reason: mispelling

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

It probably has to do with your layout and/or styles, but could be any number of things:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

John,

I will post a link as requested. It will take me a short period of time to get things online.

Notice what happens with your DD script demo using FreeFind:

Just so you know, my early comments about the script closing when I am trying to select an entry from the search field drop down box on my website - the same problem occurs with your DD demo.

If you (1) enter text to search on, (2) get search results, and then cycle back through (to search again) and double click the search input field to see prior searches (to open the search drop down box), (3) as you move the cursor to select an entry from the search drop down box, - the script window closes on you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The problem with a browser specific drop down like you describe is that it is most likely beyond the reach of javascript. Many browsers have these sorts of things, but they aren't part of the page, they are part of the browser. When your mouse moves over them, it has 'moused out' from the content. You could change the code a little bit to make the onmouseout event not be the trigger for dismissing the box, and use instead a click event on - say a little x that you put in one of the corners of the box.

This should have nothing to do with the positioning problem though.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

John,

I understand your comments regarding this script. Does this mean you will leave the script as is? Or will it be upgraded to perhaps include the capability to close the page/window manually as you described? At a minimum, this script's capabilities need more disclosure. It's a good script for static links, but is not truly viable in its present state for more dynamic scenarios like the search function discussed.

Before we get into my positioning concerns, answering the above questions is really the first step for me. I can't use the script in its present state. So let's not worry about the positioning issue unless you advise that DD will want to upgrade this script.

Can you recommend similar scripts I should consider that will accomodate search functions as described?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by virtual9; 01-16-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, I've only written a very few of the scripts featured in the DD library - I've contributed to a number of others, but this is not one of any of those. And, even for scripts where I am the author or a contributor, I have no direct editorial control over their demo pages.

This script could probably be fairly easily modified to deal with this issue in some fashion, but to get an optimal solution could be complicated. If I were you, I'd first look around for other scripts that might work out better for you 'out of the box' and/or with modifications provided for in their configuration.

It's unfortunate how this script evolved visa vis the demo use with a search box. When first written, I don't think browsers remembered previous search/form info quite so much or in exactly the ways that they do now. Since then the code has been upgraded, making it more complex to modify, but the example content used on the demo page has remained the same.

I will think about this issue some more to see if I can come up with another script suggestion for you that would be better suited to your concept. However, no matter what script you use, if it involves content that appears/disappears absolutely positioned on the page, the surrounding markup and styles will cause problems in some browsers if you aren't careful, or at least lucky.
    - John

Thanks

John,

Thank you for the comments.

For background purposes . . . My company website is a current work-in-process. I am building it such that I plan on using "drop down box" features extensively (both drop down menus and boxes). Therefore, I ultimately need a solution very similar to the DD script here discussed. I have not programmed (yet) in any of the scripting languages and therefore modifying this script would be somewhat challenging and time consuming for me (I have programmed in the past in 3rd generation languages).

Given the above comments . . . I will seek another more suitable script. I assume it is appropriate to post for help with the current script via the DD Looking for Such a Script or Service. I will also seek help elsewhere and may ultimately pay/barter services with a script programmer. I will also check back again later to see if you have any further input.

The DD site is immensely useful. Keep up the good work.