Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advantages and Disadvantages of php templates

Thanks

Default Advantages and Disadvantages of php templates

Hello, 1)) I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of php templates.

2))Can someone help me set up a php template for the following page, considering that this page is my index.php page. http://www.athletes4excellence.com/layout.php . Please and thank you!

Edit: Removed ugly formatting.
    Last edited by tech_support; 01-14-2008 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks

1)) I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of php templates.
    Advantages
    - Easy to maintain
    - Less time wasted if you needed to change one script

Disadvantages
    - Time-consuming when you're converting
    - Can't work in DW properly.

2))Can someone help me set up a php template for the following page, considering that this page is my index.php page. http://www.athletes4excellence.com/layout.php . Please and thank you!
    Read, learn, repeat until fully understood.
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...d.php?p=125609
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

- Time-consuming when you're converting
    Not a disadvantage of using a template though -- that's a disadvantage of using something else and then switching to templates.
    - Can't work in DW properly.
    Again, a disadvantage of DW, not templates.
    Read, learn, repeat until fully understood.
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...d.php?p=125609
    As I posted in the thread, that's not as powerful or elegant as a real templating engine such as Smarty.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Twey, I do not understand that link you gave me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What about it?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

What's in it? Also, where do I get a nice php template?

Thanks

What do you mean by
    where do I get a nice php template?
    Go to the Smarty website and learn how to make up the template files (which is just plain html with some simple variables in the form of {$var}). After that, assign the variables in your script and display the template.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

I don't understand. Is the one that tech_support wrote a good one? Should I use it, also if I were to use it "the final code" that he has up, is it the "index.php" page and how would the normal pages would look like? Please and thank you!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As I said, that method of doing things isn't as powerful as using a real templating engine. tech_support's is an example of one inferior method of doing it. On the Smarty website you can find examples and documentation of how to do it using Smarty.

Thanks

Are there setup php templates on the web that can be used? Please and thank you. Something exactly like this, http://www.pixel2life.com/ except I want the menu with sub menu tabs and taking out the search engine. Again thank you so much I appreciate the help!
    Last edited by afe; 01-19-2008 at 07:20 PM.