Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sizing a website

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Shouldn't be necessary really.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Well, a typical mobile phone would strip out fonts, background images/colours etc. So mine as well create a seperate stylesheet, designed for the mobile, to make it more usable.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

If you really want to be accomodating and have your size look great for most all viewers, you can build several different pages - each built around a specific resolution and setup this handy resolution based redirect script to automatically send the viewer to the appropriate portion of your site (based on their monitor settings). I'm actually in the works of doing this exact same thing myself because I totally understand your frusteration in spending time to make a way cool looking site and having it look crappy on many other machines. http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/info3.htm
    Hope this helps!

Thanks

But that won't work on (some) phones because they have JavaScript disabled.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you really want to be accomodating and have your size look great for most all viewers, you can build several different pages - each built around a specific resolution and setup this handy resolution based redirect script to automatically send the viewer to the appropriate portion of your site (based on their monitor settings).
    But both this and the separate stylesheet are both just hacks working around the basic problem of your site being too inflexible.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

You are probably right Twey, but you must remember that there are a lot of people that use this forum, all with varying degrees of knowledge on web design. The "Hack" makes perfect sense to me. I know that I could save myself a lot of time and codeing by taking a differant approach but time constraints do not allow me to reach the level I need.

The site is replacing an old one which is out if date. I do intend once the site goes live to do a total redesign but for now, I'm just up and walkiing. Before I start running, ,I will develop my limited skills.

Thanks for your advice,

Paul