Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing a website

Thanks

Default Sizing a website

Hi Guys,

What is the best advice for sizing a website to suit differant monitor sizes. I am in the process of designing a site which looks good on my wide screen laptop (wasted on me) but looks awful when viewed on smaller monitors. Is there a standard rule of thumb to handle this problem?

Thanking you in advance,

Paul

Thanks

I think 1024*768's the bare minimum.
    800*600 is extinct, and so is 640*480.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

I'm not a professional by any means, but I usually try to keep my sites around the 800×600 resolution. That way you can target the majority of web surfers. But that is just my opinion.

Thanks

Default Screen sizes for web sites.

Thank you for your speedy and helpful reply. This is not the first time you have taken the trouble to help me out and no doubt it won't be the last.

We need more people likeyou and I am sure that the majority of regs will agree.

Thanking you once again,

Paul

Thanks
    Blog Entries

800*600 is extinct, and so is 640*480
    Be careful there... I would tend to agree with 640*480, but in 2 years of running my site and 4 million visitors, I have seen a TON still using 800*600. I have near blind players, older players and those with just overall bad vision that rely upon 800*600 resolution.

Don't knock it yet.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Thumbs up Screen Resolution

Thanks for your advice guys - all of it good. I have decided to go with Blizzard's advicde as the website is for a hospice so there would be a larger percentage than normal of people who might have difficulty dealing with the larger screen resolution.

I found a great script on DD which allows the end user to enlarge or make smaller the text.

The site is currently under development and uploaded to www.hobbyfarmproduce.com so you can see it working (although not on the homepage)

Thanks again for all your time and help.

Paul

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Don't forget that vision impaired persons aren't stupid, they just can't see well. LOL A lot fo designers mistakes is designing the website to "help" people overcome design issues. These people browse everyday. They know that hitting ctrl+ will increase font size through the browser.

Although some small scripts can help, you don't want to make them feel stupid either
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Default Font Size

Thanks Blizzard,

You're 100% correct when you point out that vision impaired persons aren't stupid. btw I didn't know about the ctrl+ thingey. As an X patient in a Hospice, one of the big issues there was to preserve the dignity of both patients and their family.

It is too easy as a novice designer to add doo-daas because you can rather than you should.

There is obviously still a lot of work left to do on the site although I hope to go live with it this coming weekend.

The site is a little unusual as it is not designed to attract customers. The five main points we sre trying to get accross are as folllows.

• To raise money to build 2 hospices with accommodation for families
    • To get more volunteers
    • To let people know that home services are available as well as in-patient services
    • To enable patients with a life threatening illness to live out the remainder of their lives in comfort and dignity.
    • To let people know that services are also available for people in long term pain and being in a hospice does not mean you are in God's waiting room.

I am sure you would give it a once over before I publish it to its rightful domain.

Thanking you in advance,

Paul

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think 1024*768's the bare minimum.
    800*600 is extinct, and so is 640*480.
    A site should work at any resolution, even if it means disabling images. Don't forget that there's a surge of hand-held Web-capable devices now, whose screens can be 320×300 or smaller.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Don't forget that there's a surge of hand-held Web-capable devices now, whose screens can be 320×300 or smaller.
    That's why they have a seperate CSS file for mobiles.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide