Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Need HELP On This One?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's just some users, out of the probably 10's of thousands of users who have used Vista.
    True. Most of those probably don't try to play high-definition content (it's not that wide-spread yet), don't report the problem, or aren't technically competent enough to understand that it is a problem -- computers just decide to run slowly sometimes, don't they?
    So you're just saying "give up?"
    Heck yes. It's a problem that can't be solved by technical means. As you said, if the aim is just to slow down piracy then it may work somewhat (read: very slightly, see below), but is it really worth the billions of dollars, the inconvenience to users, and all the vendor lock-in (see iTunes) that results?
    Laws? Pfft. How many people got arrested for P2P distribution? One. Only one person. (Who is in the US)
    What? Nobody gets arrested for breach of copyright law because it's a civil suit, not criminal. Many many people (14,800 at the time of writing of this article [two years ago]) have been sued over it, rightly or not.
    What do I do when I see the "piracy is stealing" ads? I skip 'em.
    A fine example of how utterly futile a task it is to try to prevent users doing what they want -- those ads are designed to be unskippable, at least on British DVDs.
    Are you sure about this? I saw thousands of people queuing up at my local electronics store...
    I can't speak for your local electronics store, but overall sales were very low.
    How is that so?
    You still haven't read that article, have you?
    Companies sponsor the linux distributions. What if they (the lawyers) threaten the companies?
    The companies will laugh in their faces: nothing they're doing is currently illegal, anywhere. If a new law were introduced and the companies were forced to stop sponsoring Linux distributions (there's no way you're going to get DRM to be compatible with the GPL without making it open-source, so including it isn't an option) Linux will continue to develop by community, if at a slightly slower pace. Sponsors are nice, but very far from vital for open-source software. Also, I doubt very much that such a law could be passed.
    I'll admit that DRM isn't the best option, but it's just to slow, not stop, the person trying to distribute movies freely on the internet.
    There's a chain of technical competence in action in piracy. It takes only one person skilled enough to break the DRM to release a program to do so, a bunch of distributors skilled enough to use said program (think Windows power users), and everyone else can just download the cracked goods. The former is slowed a little by DRM, but after that the chain moves along as if nothing had happened.
    80% of the kids at my school can't live without it either. It's an addictive game.
    It's like cocaine for computer users Did you hear about the guy who died after playing computer games for something like three days solid?
    Last edited by Twey; 01-08-2008 at 12:38 PM.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I'm buying a new Desktop and I have the choice of Getting Xp Home,
    XP Professional, or Vista Home Basic.
    XP Pro all the way!
    no way Vista is SOOOOOO Much better... haha... wait... D'Ohhhhh
    If you are choosing to go with a Microsoft based OS, I would agree with TechSupport and use XP Pro

No more converting people to Linux Twey
    Yah Twey... Linux is only a tool for hackers and those spam bots....
    Can't live without WoW
    That is a sad, sad statement my friend.
    Hahahahaha 80% of the kids at my school can't live without it either. It's an addictive game
    theres a difference between "cant" and dont want to... the word 'addiction' should probably be replaced by 'obsessive', but yes your point has been made. there are very few things that a person cannot live without... those being shelter, food, water. and when I say shelter I do not mean a house or an apartment or even a trailer... I am talking about even a card board box could be considered shelter, or a piece of clothing. "Shelter" is a very relative term depending on geography.

So with that said... everything else that you have in life is a luxury, which most americans seem fit to pretend its rather a necessity... it goes back to the topic a while ago about "I NEED HELP NOW"... no you do not need help now, you WANT help now... oh wait... what's the title on this thread?
    Last edited by boogyman; 01-08-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    It's like cocaine for computer users Did you hear about the guy who died after playing computer games for something like three days solid?
    Every Tuesday morning the servers are down for maintenance.
    I'm cold...

I do take the time to eat, sleep and go to school, so i wouldn't be worried.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Laws? Pfft. How many people got arrested for P2P distribution? One. Only one person. (Who is in the US)
    Actually that one was the one convicted. She was ordered to pay 22 thousand (USD) for the copyright infringement and illegal downloading.

The catch is she is the FIRST. The RIAA has a list of over 20 thousand names, she was the first of those to go to court. The RIAA won their first, and I doubt it will be their last.

theres a difference between "cant" and dont want to...
    Yes, I know, and I use the term loosely as well. There are things I can't live without (so to speak) but WoW (or any game - except my website of course ) should not be on that list.

I have seen that game break up marriages. That's just wrong.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

computers just decide to run slowly sometimes, don't they?
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens.
    Heck yes. It's a problem that can't be solved by technical means. As you said, if the aim is just to slow down piracy then it may work somewhat (read: very slightly, see below), but is it really worth the billions of dollars, the inconvenience to users, and all the vendor lock-in (see iTunes) that results?
    It can, and they're trying really hard to. Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.
    What? Nobody gets arrested for breach of copyright law because it's a civil suit, not criminal.
    It's a "criminal act" according to the piracy ads.
    You still haven't read that article, have you?
    I've read that article before, I think it was on your last Vista rant.
    Sponsors are nice, but very far from vital for open-source software.
    How about the money? Costs? Expenses?
    Ouch. To the kids in this forum, including myself, get outside and play. I ran in the sand a couple of days ago. That was nice. And refreshing.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It can
    It can't. I've just explained why. You can't give someone encrypted content and the key to that content and expect it to remain unbroken. It's the same issue as attempting to hide HTML source.
    Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.
    And you agree with this?
    IANAL, then, but many people have been sued over the matter (although it was by the RIAA, not the artists, so I doubt the artists got much compensation).
    Rich people do it for a hobby too. Like I said, a lack of sponsors might slow down development a bit, but it would carry on. All academic, of course, because the chances of such a law being accepted is practically nil.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

And you agree with this?
    Oh, not at all. I'm just telling what I'm seeing.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But you were saying it wasn't a bad thing that Vista supported DRM.

Thanks

It isn't. Most (non *nix-based) OSes do ship with it, like Apple OSX. And what's that got to do with bad business practices?

Edit: Replaced Linux to *nix.
    Last edited by tech_support; 01-10-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    It can, and they're trying really hard to. Does the big companies care about the user's inconveniences? Nah... Maybe too a certain extent. It's the harsh world of businesses. Money vs. The People.
    Doesn't mean it's right, only that those are bad people.

I agree, advertisements are 100% correct 100% of the time.

Many universities offer server space to mirror OSS projects.

Ouch. To the kids in this forum, including myself, get outside and play.
    What's this "outside" you talk of?

It isn't. Most (non Linux-based) OSes do ship with it [DRM], like Apple OSX.
    Most non linux based OSs do not... I'll list a few off the top of my head...
    1. Windows, pre-vista
    2. Unix/Minix
    3. BSD
    4. Solaris
    5. Amiga
    6. BeOS
    7. NeXTSTEP
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.