9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yeah!

7 77.78%
  • Nah, you kids should grow up.

2 22.22%

Thread: Santa!

Thanks

Talking Santa!

It's Christmas Eve tomorrow... and I thought this might be interesting enough to share.

Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000 th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stocking, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household, a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding, etc. That means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, at tops 25-30 miles per hour.

353000 tons travelling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance. This will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecrafts re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy per second, each. In short, they will burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and creating a deafening sonic boom in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa meanwhile, will be subject to centrifugal forces of 17500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250 lb Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by a 4,315,015 pound force. In conclusion, if Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas eve, he's now dead.
    It's funny, BUT I still think Santa's real. And I'm 15.

Do you think Santa's real? Why or why not?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Santa is real; in fact, he got arrested for breaking and entering last year at my house.

Seriously though, I think that the story of Santa is based off of a real person but the part about the flying reindeer just makes no sense (unless he was an alien with that type of technology )
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

We read in my Latin class the original story of the saint from whom the story of Santa originated.

A man was poor and was forced to make his young daughters work as prostitutes. When the saint heard of this, he went, in the middle of the night, and threw a bag of his own gold through the window, then ran off into the night. Apparently he did it again later, and someone saw him, and the story was born.

The rest is just fabricated by society. Macy's began the story of Rudolf as an advertising gimmick, for example.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Santa is 100% real.

I've found some vids on YouTube that show the heritage of Santa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiDDWi8k1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4OvK3Vn44

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Santa, today, is more a state of mind or emotion. I am Santa at my house, my father is Santa at his house, it's the spirit of what it represents, and that's what makes it, as well as keeps it, alive.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

I just love it when youtube is cited for an argument. Though it was a good discussion, I think that proves we've reached the end. Heh.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

if he wasnt real who would explain the presents from Santa when i was a kid

you people need to quit overthinking this
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-