Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer being sued

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

3.1 was good for its day. I never liked 98. NT suited me very well at the time, and XP is like an updated, expanded, slightly dumbed down NT, so I like XP just fine. I never used 2000 or ME. Vista has always struck me as overly ambitious, to put it kindly, perhaps some day . . . But I think Vista's troubles may be so endemic that it will be an Edsel. What's next? I'm sure MS will come up with something sooner or later, IMHO a 'nix type kernel with a 'for dummies' overlay.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

First time I had XP? About 2 years ago, I'm horrible with my installations, soon this ones gonna need dumped, but my computers dieing to, I backup my site, I believe its my HD going out. Plus this sys just sucks....

I liked XP's interface, I like fancy and cool looking stuff, I'm not with the whole "harder to use" stuff, I fail at Linux.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimFA View Post
    I'm not with the whole "harder to use" stuff, I fail at Linux.
    You may of misunderstood me. I didn't mean that MS would come out with a 'nix OS like most of the ones currently available, rather that they would probably come out with an OS based on a 'nix type kernel. I think that they are about to the point of tiring of reinventing the wheel, if so this would be the way to go. However, this wouldn't change their 'commitment' to a relatively simple GUI for those who like that. Hopefully though, this would make the OS much more versatile for those wishing to 'get under the hood'.

But, I may have misunderstood you, if you meant that XP is harder to use, I would have to disagree. It's just a little different than some of the previous Windows OS's, no easier, no harder to use. It's main advantage is that on a machine that matches its sys req, it is very stable.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

No, no I understood what you mean't, I was saying that I like most of the MS OSs because its usually easy to use. Lol, I should have clarified.

This went somewhat off-topic, from IE being sued to praising MS OSs...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I like most of the MS OSs because its usually easy to use
    -- so long as you don't do anything Microsoft didn't intend you to do, like, say, develop, or fix a bug. Then it rapidly becomes a nightmare.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hehe, I don't do those things, I just fix what I can. Man, I never realized Dynamic Drive forums got so slow sometimes...for the longest time I didn't ever stay, I asked my question and left.

edit:
    Twey
    Modtoreador

LoL

Thanks

I despise Microsoft, but here are the points I consider in judging them:

1. A browser(s) must be bundled with the computer, because not everyone that buys a computer has Internet access.

2. Many users never download anything, but this wouldn't matter so much if we had a variety of pre-installed operating systems.

3. More browsers mean less free space on the computer, although this isn't a problem for most users.

4. A not-so-savvy user might be confused by a prompt upon the first startup.

5. The same not-so-savvy user probably wouldn't ever find any browsers but the first known, at least for a while.

6. Microsoft doesn't have to bundle the browser(s); the computer store could do it.

Considering the above, I don't know that Microsoft commits a crime by bundling IE with Windows, unless they should bundle no browsers and leave that up to the (hopefully impartial) computer stores. (I do agree that IE should be uninstallable, but that isn't the issue.)

I think their main crime is their operating system monopoly - a technological monopoly obtained and retained by contracts with computer manufacturers. They should be taken to court (again, as the last time didn't help much) over this, not over bundling IE with Windows. Now, I don't know that Opera would be allowed to charge them with this because they don't compete, but this is the real issue for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think their main crime is their operating system monopoly - a technological monopoly obtained and retained by contracts with computer manufacturers
    This is not true. A store that sells Macs doesn't sell MS computers. Likewise Dell, HP, Acer, E-Machine, etc. all sell MS computers and "no-operating system computers" Dell has partnered with Ubuntu as well as MS and sells computers pre-installed with both, as well as a "clean" system that comes with a disk to install free-dos but otherwise has nothing on it.

There is a choice, which in effect, disables any "monopoly".

Hell there are stores online that sell computers with everything EXCEPT MicroSoft.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Likewise Dell, HP, Acer, E-Machine, etc. all sell MS computers and "no-operating system computers"
    But have you ever tried to buy one? They're not listed as options for most systems.
    Hell there are stores online that sell computers with everything EXCEPT MicroSoft.
    Only small ones. Most users want Windows -- the semi-monopoly propagates itself.
    3. More browsers mean less free space on the computer, although this isn't a problem for most users.
    Bundling a browser with the install medium doesn't mean it will be installed. There's certainly enough space for another browser or three on the install DVDs.
    4. A not-so-savvy user might be confused by a prompt upon the first startup.
    A user who's confused by a simple prompt in non-technical language is incapable of operating a computer. Besides, we're talking install time here, and there are lots of other prompts.
    6. Microsoft doesn't have to bundle the browser(s); the computer store could do it.
    Some do bundle Fx. However, while IE is uninstallable there's redundancy in installing another browser as well, as you pointed out.
    I think their main crime is their operating system monopoly - a technological monopoly obtained and retained by contracts with computer manufacturers. They should be taken to court (again, as the last time didn't help much) over this
    At the worst they'd just be forced to split into two companies.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That is one of the most cogent multi-quote-and-response posts I have ever seen!
    - John