Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer being sued

Thanks
    Blog Entries

IE 7 is actually pretty darn good with css
    It's a big step up from IE6, but it still doesn't come close to Opera's and Fx' support.
    and very good with png.
    Except for that it applies gamma correction differently from other browsers. In fairness, it is following the PNG spec still; it's just awkward that it decides to implement a vague portion of it differently from everything else, especially since it's a web browser and the way everything else does it makes much more sense for the web.
    I hate it is when I have to see when css works in both browsers and the coding.
    "Both" browsers? There are a lot more than two browsers out there Generally this sort of compatibility issue takes the form of "one way for IE, one way for everything else," and stems from IE's lack of standards support.
    if opera and "Fx" want to become more popular, they should add as much features as IE has
    They have pretty much all the "features" IE has, even some rather nasty ones like innerHTML. About all they're missing is some of the more pointless non-standard eye-candy like page transitions. Instead, they have one heck of a lot of features that actually are both standard and useful, like XHTML, SVG, and XPath.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Ie has no more than Opera or FireFox, what are you referring to?? And plus if FireFox lacks something there is this REALLY convenient thing called "Add-ons" Opera has them to, with Add-ons FireFox and Opera can have MUCH more functionality than IE could dream of having. Reasons? FireFox and Operas are developed by people on a need-it basis, IE has none, but if it did MS would make it so that only they could develop them, or atleast they would try. MS has never been big on the whole "yours and ours" thing, even their OS's license agreements say you are just "renting" their software (from XP up I believe). I know some people who think MS will try and disable XP through the "Validation" system, as that would be perfectly legal. I don't necessarily think they would, but its a thought.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A lot of people have those views about MS. Personally I see the need for wording like that. It isn't set up for them to DO anything TO an end user, but it is more a CYA type of thing if/when the time (read: lawsuits) come.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Yes, and the views branch from the fact that "hey I paid for this, now let me use it the way I want!" is the view of many people, I feel that way to, but I do not scream about it. I've heard the theory that they will disable XP to force you into buying Vista, the probable excuse? "XP is out-dated" and they will pull it off shelves. Once again, just a possibility.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, but that rumor came out after MS announced they would continue to build upon and update XP for the next 7 years.

XP is also back on the shelves at stores and pre-installed on machines through most major computer distributors, like Dell and HP.

XP won't go anywhere, not for a while.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

They can't disable XP, but they will try to make it outdated. No support, no updates, and no software that is compatible. Yet they just updated with SP3. I wonder if that's some scam.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hehe, I prefer XP. I'm running 2000 Pro, but XP runs more stable on this PC. Also not to say I hate IE, some people would see what MS is doing as a service by providing a ready browser in the installation, and why not their own? I do not feel Opera should get anything out of this, but I don't necessarily think what MS does is fair.

edit: and why couldn't they?? they can use the validation service, until it's gone, which is never, as it has the power to do such things. If you are talking matters of can't do it because of the media/publicity/lay-suits they could get, just blame it on a deadly virus, that a) did it. b) forced them to do it, because of how fast it was spreading, or some similar excuse.
    Last edited by TimFA; 12-22-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: man my grammar sucks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Of course, if they do, I have a handy dandy copy of Windows 98SE in my desk drawer, ready to go.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

I have 95, 98 SE, 2000 Pro, and XP. Lol, I use 2000, because I screwed up my XP installation.

Thanks

I think 2000 was a very nice version of windows. I switched to XP a long time after most, but then again, that was a few years ago, now.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum