Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer being sued

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    The problem? Too much testosteron! Apes have lots of it.
    That's testosterone. Hormones make the world go round. But you have a point. I similarly have had it with extremism of every stripe. I really don't think (as I mentioned before) that Opera is doing this primarily to promote fairness, but I'm all for it, simply because I like the browser. I would never do anything to directly promote the Opera browser though, other than truthfully state my satisfaction with it. And, as good as it is, it isn't perfect. No browser is.

I think folks often overlook the facts of the matter. The internet is a hodgepodge of markup, etc. The various browsers try to make sense of it all. Standards exist, but the aren't always followed. If you try to treat the internet as though it were a private controlled medium, you will be disappointed, or are deluded, or both.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

A week ago, my econ teacher talked a little about this for purposes of bundling and exclusive dealings.

In any case, I think this matter at its roots is a gimic, but I don't disagree with it. The only reason why I root for Opera isn't because I like the browser or necessarily dislike MS; I just loathe Internet Explorer. MS needs to get some repercussions for releasing such a crappy browser. Come on . . . attachEvent? Just go with the flow and accept addEventListener and everything else.

Btw, how do browsers even make money for companies? What market is there?
    Trinithis

Thanks

Advertising and perhaps investors, I'd think.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There could be other avenues for financial gain in browsers I'm not thinking of at the moment. For MS, one is the market dominance. If you start using other browser software, you may begin to question the need to use MS software at all. MS also uses IE to funnel folks to MS owned sites.

For Opera, it might possibly be - make a decent browser and profit by suing MS. But Opera also has commercial software, if you use their free browser, you might be more inclined to purchase one or more of their commercial products. You certainly would be more aware of them as a 'player' in the software world.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

MS also uses IE to funnel folks to MS owned sites.
    Not just that, but without IE, Windows itself would stop functioning as designed-- automatic updates, "Genuine Advantage", "Live" messenger, and other such "features" would not work without ActiveX and extreme control over the machine.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Ha ha after my ordeal with IE in the past few days here this is the stuff that i like to read. .....i can i become part of this lawsuit lmao......Maybe Microsoft should put out a better browser without so many bugs!!! But that would be asking alot i know!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    That's testosterone
    [/B].

I see. Well, in Dutch, it's 'testosteron'. The final 'e' in Engl. 'testosterone' and French 'testostérone' shouldn't be there, at least, if the origin is something like 'testostero - testosteronem'.
    But that's not what this thread is about.

Arie M.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by molendijk View Post
    [/B].

I see. Well, in Dutch, it's 'testosteron'. The final 'e' in Engl. 'testosterone' and French 'testostérone' shouldn't be there, at least, if the origin is something like 'testostero - testosteronem'.
    But that's not what this thread is about.

Arie M.
    Are you sure? Anyways, why not write your entire post in Dutch then?
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Would it help ease your mind if I said I don't use IE except to test and that I ONLY use firefox and Konq? I, as are many many others here, are NOT fanatical about one OS/browser/other item of computer usage but there are great debates to be had, and maybe a couple of points of view to see with fresh eyes.

Opera vs. IE is NOT comparable to Christianity vs. Determinism vs. religious freedom.

But I see no point in attacking the huge force that is Windows because a small company wants a bigger piece of the pie.

The reason I am not surprised that FireFox has done so well, is because people that understand their browsers have been starving for a good browser, while settling for mediocre ones. IE, Opera, Safari, Konq, all mediocre. FireFox came along and gave everyone what they wanted, and those that know, made the switch.

But just because I support FireFox doesn't mean I have to bash IE. I like ALL browsers and OS, they all have pros and cons.

I will tell you though, the thing MS did was make computers easy for people, and through the years have stuck to that. Most people can't install Linux and make all those choices during set up because they don't know what half that crap is.

MS took those choices away and gave people what they need, a Desktop GUI, a web browser, a messenger service, and al those other "features" that someone who doesn't understand computers fully can get on, check email, chat with a friend and look at ebay.

Why wouldn't MS use their own software for this purpose? I know I would.
    Last edited by BLiZZaRD; 12-16-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But just because I support FireFox doesn't mean I have to bash IE. I like ALL browsers and OS, they all have pros and cons.
    Name one for IE
    The reason I am not surprised that FireFox has done so well, is because people that understand their browsers have been starving for a good browser, while settling for mediocre ones. IE, Opera, Safari, Konq, all mediocre. FireFox came along and gave everyone what they wanted, and those that know, made the switch.
    I disagree -- most of the features in Fx exist in Opera, Safari and Konq.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!