Thread: Flying Message not showing on top

Thanks

Default Flying Message not showing on top

1) Script Title: Flying Message script II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...flymessage.htm

3) Describe problem: Script works fine EXCEPT that the message is displayed behind other content on my page instead of on top as in the sample on DD.
    Is there something I can do to force on top?

See my page at http://www.galtechmodels.com/mainsite/index.html then select menu item HOME then DiscountClub (for some reason the direct link does not work??)

Thanks,
    Bill

P.S. WebStudio is used to create the web site

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Certain objects like SELECT menus or Flash objects will always display themselves as the topmost elements on the page due to a bug in IE6. In Firefox and IE7, this should be fixed though. Is that what you're seeing as well?

Thanks

Thanks for the response.
    I am using IE7.
    The DD page has a flying message that works fine.
    I am trying to fly my message over text but it goes behind it and just shows where I have my white page background.
    Can't test in Firefox because the DynamicDrive script seems to be specifically testing for IE because the guts of the the script is enclosed in <!--[if IE]> ...... <![endif]-->

Bill

Thanks

Hi "ddadmin"

Can you suggest anything else, please?

Seems strange to me that the DynamicDrive sample works fine (in IE7) but my usage has my Flying Message running behind a text box on my page and only showing the parts of the Flying Message not hidden by the text or any other item on the page.

My particular page, that I am trying to use for a Flying Message, is very simple and the HTML code was 'written' by the Web Studio software that I use for creating web sites. The only code additional to the generated HTML (except for the DD script stuff) is a couple of lines that appear before the HTML starts, to load a header image and INCLUDE a menu script.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by WilliamT; 12-16-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks

For your information, I found a solution from one of the very helpful people on the Web Studio Forum.
    They advised to include a z-index:990 clause in the DIV statement located in the HEAD of the page as follows:

<div id="externalmessage" style="position:absolute; width: 300px; height: 250px; z-index:990" onMouseover="pausemessage()" onMouseout="resumemessage()" src="message2.htm"></div>

Works a treat!

Thanks,
    Bill