Thread: Need Help with Columns

Thanks

Question Need Help with Columns

I need some help making some columns for my website. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to css. There may already be columns in the css because I changed up the body of the template I am using. Anyways, the links are below and I would just like to define the body columns, left sidebar, middle, and right sidebar. Ya know, possibly a darker background for the middle and maybe an optional vertical rule.

http://stuwww.hsu.edu/kswh/redline/index.html

http://stuwww.hsu.edu/kswh/redline/style.css

Thanks

The html page is showing blank. Your source code says you're linking to images in your documents folder on your computer.

I'm far from being a CSS guru (I'm still learning too), but I had a look at your style sheet and the source code on your html page tells me of div names but no attributes for these div names or div attributes and names that are not referenced in the document itself. You did say you'd changed your template, but your css script must be paired up with the <div id="layerone"> etc in the body of your html....and then you can start playing with the colours, margins etc.

When you make a
    #example {
    margin-width: 0
    {
    on either a linked css style sheet or a style sheet embeded into the same page..

You need to have <div id="example"> content</div> referenced in your html document.

What you have at the moment is about three directions and the browser doesn't know how to interpret it because the instructions appear incomplete.

If I can give you an example of what I mean (and I'm not saying it's the best example, but I'll show you some of my css): - I did say I'm still learning, so spare me some grief lol.

<style type="text/css>

#wrapper {
    padding-left: 5%;
    margin-right: 0;
    min-width: 730px;
    }

#content {
    margin-left: 160px;
    padding: 0px;
    margin-right: 20px;
    background-color:#000000;

}

#menusection {
    text-decoration:none;
    position: absolute;
    left: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    width: 150px;

}

#footer {
    font-size:70%;
    line-height:9pt;
    font-family:verdana;
    font-weight:normal;
    clear:both;
    margin-left: 160px;
    margin-right:20px;
    }

</style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="wrapper">
    <div id="menusection">
    </div>
    <div id="content">
    </div>
    <div id="footer">
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    You need to rename your example divs etc as layer one two and three and so on to match the html you have there and then you can add your background colours in your div attributes in the style sheet...that's what I see. If I've misinterpreted your question, I apologise.

Honestly, you have a lot going on on that page. You're like me, learning CSS - crash course by the looks of it. Strip your page down and start again. Save what you have, but gradually copy and paste certain bits into a new document and save it and see how it looks. Keep adding to it and when something doesn't work, "undo" and figure out what went wrong.

I hope I haven't confuddled you further! And if I have, I'm sure one of the expert coders will correct me.
    Last edited by Eternal_Howl; 12-07-2007 at 06:51 AM.