Thread: New Laptop Advice

Thanks

Default New Laptop Advice

My friend is looking to buy new laptop with at least 512Mb ram, standard hd capacity (80Gb maybe), price range = £400 max. Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks.

Thanks

1) not dell
    2) not dell
    3) not dell

In my experience while dell has "award winning customer service" its because they get called so often. 512 with 80g hdd will be on the low level of computers these days. Generally laptops run 1/2 of a desktop and the average desktop will retail at 1-2g with the more powerful machine at 4g and for super users 8g (four 2g strips) now with that said anyone should be able to get a good deal on a laptop with 512mb RAM.
    To decide which one he should actually buy, you should look into the other options available and have it tailored to what the user will most frequently will be doing.

eg if the user is a graphic artist, he/she would want a good graphics card
    if the user was a musician he/she would need a good audio card
    if the user was a computer technician you would need the extra memory / cpu speed

Thanks

Its actually for my mates (female) daughter who is only going to use it for frivilous expeditions such as bebo and msn so it doesnt need to be high spec. Looking for something that will start, run bebo and msn and then turn off when she's finished. I've had a look around some websites but I don't really know much about laptops due to the fact that i have always used desktop pc's. Just need some advice model and make wise i.e. what is the best make to go with.

Thanks

Eh, I think Dell would be fine. However, I don't think they have any within that price range anyway. So, no matter.

It doesn't sound like you need a particularly good computer. Just get one that works, and is in your price range-- not that many will be, unless they're used.

True, you don't need all the fancy features, but they just don't sell the low end laptops-- usually they'll just try to sell the newer ones with all the fancy features.

Considering, seems like a time to look at ebay, amazon.com and other online resellers.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I've got and recommended to 3 others, who have now got Acers. All are delighted. All from eBuyer.com, with no problems. Don't pay for quick delivery it comes in a few days anyway.