Thread: Swiss Army slideshow: question about the control buttons

Thanks

Default Swiss Army slideshow: question about the control buttons

1) Script Title: Swiss Army Image Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...army/index.htm

3) Describe problem: hello all. i recently discovered that i have access to the error logs for the sites i work on at my job, and now i'm going through them to find and fix any errors i might not have known about.

on the site where i use the Swiss Army Slideshow, i'm getting errors that the control buttons (right.gif, left.gif, stop.gif, and play.gif) do not exist. this makes sense because i never created my own buttons, and left that section of the script as it was when i inserted it (for example: var previmg='left.gif'. because the buttons still appear when you view a page containing the slideshow.

so, my question is, where are the button images coming from?? if they're not on my site, and i'm not linking to them absolutely, how are they still showing up on the page??

i've wondered about this before, but it wasn't a problem since the buttons were showing up anyway. but now that i'm trying to fix errors, i figure i should look into it.

thanks!

Thanks

Ok, i figured out my problem. i had to change var preload_ctrl_images to "false." that's why i was getting the errors.

though, i'm still curious as to where those buttons are coming from. are they just built in or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

The following HTML code makes a button in all modern (and almost all not so modern) browsers:

HTML Code:
    <input type="button">
    That's where they are coming from (code excerpted from the script):

Code:
    document.write('<div align="center"><input id="prev'+this.issid+'" disabled type="button" value=" << " onclick="iss['+this.issid+'].changeimg(false, \'nav\');"> . . . 
    Each browser is allowed to render them however it sees fit, but it is always as some type of button.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

i see! very interesting.

thank you!

Thanks

Is there a way to change the control buttons from a broswer default button that says "next" to just a text link that is ">>"? I've seen examples of how to replace the button with an image, but nothing pointing to how to make them just simple text links. Can someone help me?

Thanks

I should add, what I'm ultimately trying to get to is to replace the standard controls on the slideshow script so that the slideshow:
    1. Randomly plays when loaded (which is already an option that I have enabled)
    2. Uses "<" and ">" as text links for the previous and next buttons (need help here)
    3. Not have a "stop" or "play" button. I'd like to get rid of this so that there is no "stop" option (need help here as well). The "pause over hover" feature is enough for me...

Does anyone know how to do that?