Thread: buffering problem when watching online movies

Thanks

Default buffering problem when watching online movies

I sometimes encounter serious from youtube/other sites. Would appreciate if someone could advise on how to resolve this problem. Thank you.

Thanks

It happens.

The answer is simple; and there may be no solution.

Either your connection, the server's, or both, cannot allocate the needed bandwidth to send/receive the data.

You can close any other applications that may be taking up bandwidth (IM apps, downloads, web browsers, other programs that have online interaction, like games, etc.), and you could also look at getting a faster connection. Check to see if you have any bandwidth limit set for the browser or plugin (or on your system), though it's fairly unlikely (and you would probably know about it).

The server may be slow, or it may be overloaded. Nothing you can do there. Try back later, especially at low traffic hours (ie, middle of the night, for one-- not mid afternoon-early evening).

I've noticed this can happen at times when the websites that serve the ads get slow, and that screws up the whole system, which is a real pain. A few sites will then just bypass the ads, but most decide to freeze instead. Nothing you can do there, because it requires an ad watched before playing another segment.

The only other option is that you simply have too much open on your computer (RAM/processor), or you don't have the space on your hard drive to temporarily store the data (like less than 100mb free). I doubt this is the problem.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

With youtube, and many others, I find that even with my broadband cable, there are sometimes problems. If you have at least DSL or better, generally these are network bottlenecks of one sort or another. When this happens to me, I just pause the movie, do something else while it downloads, go back and hit play. Sometimes a refresh is also required, even after the above treatment.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Agreed. I did say you could try getting a faster connection, but once you have DSL or above, that may not be the problem. And, unfortunately, just not something you can fix always.

Letting it download is a good option, but it's a problem for true streaming media. I have several TV shows that I watch each week, and if I miss them, I'm sure to catch them on their respective stations' websites, but these have so much security/protection on the files that they don't just load the whole thing, but will only stream, as you watch, so it either must be fast enough or you'll be watching the characters jerk from frame to frame. Sometimes it's bad enough the site will reset itself, etc. (The code for the CBS player is atrocious, as it doesn't count the segments correctly and jumps around when you try to rewind. The other ones mostly work decently.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Default yes something can be done

thier is something you can do about this problem if you have high speed internet thier is no reson this should be happening and no you dont have to just live with it. I had this problem and after researching online without any help i decided to take matters into my own hands and found a solution that worked for me. while my internet seemed to be working pretty fast ...online movies and tv shows seemed sluggish and buffered a lot... the solution that worked for me was i bought a new ethernet card popped it in and bamn no more buffering while it may not be your problem it worked for me and other solutions may include but are not limited to 1.broken/damged cables to your modem 2. the modem itself check with your network provider to ensure you have the current model or higher they are using (if not you can usually just take it to them if you are renting it and they will give you a more up to date model (they change them on average once a year) 3. router if you are using a router unplug it and plug your pc directly into the modem if it fixes the buffering problem buy a new router

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's all good advice. It may still happen that you run into a network bottleneck. But if that's the case, streaming multimedia content will work smoothly for you most of the time, it will only be occasionally that you see a lot of buffering. If you always experience it and you are connected at 54mbps or better, there is something wrong with your connection.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

It mainly depends upon your internet speed and if its speed then i believe it will not be a problem ,if its still buffering then it could be problem with the server.

Thanks

Well, when you have that problem, you may try to go to Speedtest.net and see if the bandwidth problem is with your connection or the servers