Thread: Why does adding DOCTYPE break several scripts?

Thanks

Default Why does adding DOCTYPE break several scripts?

1) Script Title:
    multiple scripts

2) Script URL (on DD):
    multiple script URLs

3) Describe problem:
    I have been trying out several script here today, yet some of them seem to break when I try them with a DOCTYPE specified.

Stripping my DOCTYPE from my code isn't an option, so how can I modify these scripts to work with a DOCTYPE specified?

Thanks

hey

im not sure about what u mean by "breaks" but i hope this helps

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26614
    Last edited by ricmetal; 11-15-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some of the scripts in the DD library are old, and/or written without regard to DOCTYPE or standards mode.

Most can be updated though, usually all that is required is to add a few:

+'px'

at the end of lines setting height/width/top/left style values, and (for IE) using some sort of test to determine compatibility mode for document.documentElement vs. document.body.

Without a specific script though, I cannot be much more detailed. I have updated many of these scripts in the past for others however, so a search of the forum archives might find an update for any given script.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Some of the scripts in the DD library are old, and/or written without regard to DOCTYPE or standards mode.

Most can be updated though, usually all that is required is to add a few:

+'px'

at the end of lines setting height/width/top/left style values, and (for IE) using some sort of test to determine compatibility mode for document.documentElement vs. document.body.

Without a specific script though, I cannot be much more detailed. I have updated many of these scripts in the past for others however, so a search of the forum archives might find an update for any given script.
    As I get specific scripts, I'll list them in this thread. I went through soooooo many yesterday, that I can't remember.

In addition to adding "px" to height/width/top/left I found adding "#" in front of hex color values helps too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msmedley View Post
    As I get specific scripts, I'll list them in this thread. I went through soooooo many yesterday, that I can't remember.

In addition to adding "px" to height/width/top/left I found adding "#" in front of hex color values helps too.
    The scripts without the # prefix for hex color values are the really old ones.

Generally, if I have made an update available in these forums for a particular script, it can be found by using Google, here is the search string to use:

site:dynamicdrive.com/forums/archive script name or keywords jscheuer1

Just replace the red part with the script name or with keywords that should locate it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate