Advanced Search

Thread: "javac" not a recognized command

Thanks

Default "javac" not a recognized command

So I'm trying to compile a .class file a created at school to work on it at home but the command prompt says "javac is not recognized as an internal or external command." Whats up with that?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Firstly, you don't compile a .class file. .class is the extension given to files that have already been compiled from source files, usually given a .java extension.

This error message means that the "javac.exe" executable can't be found in your path. This is usually caused by one of two things:
    1. You don't have a JDK installed.
    2. The JDK isn't in your path.
    You need to install the JDK if you don't have it already. Then, make sure that you have the "bin" directory of your JDK in your system path. I think on Windows this is edited by going to My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Ah, sorry about my the misuse of terminology, I've only recently started learning Java and I get confused quite a bit. And I did download JDK but I did not change the other stuff.