Thread: Need help with Javascript + MDB

Thanks

Default Need help with Javascript + MDB

Hi,
    I have an MDB file that is updated through a VB application that I wrote. I now need to find a way to display data from the MDB file in an HTML calendar table. Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

If MDB is a database, you are still going to need server side code. Since you are already using VB, I am assuming you have asp or asp.Net. If so, that would be the way to go.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Dear John,

Many thanks for responding so quickly, but, alas, I am using VB 4 and I couldn't find in my VB 4 anything about ASP or NET... I have no idea how to retrieve my data from the MDB database file and display it in an HTML page. Maybe VBscript?

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It is an Access database file.

The answer is that you cannot. MDB is a secret, proprietary file format, and as such few tools can read it. I suggest storing it in a SQLite database, but as John says, you'll still need a server-side script to access it.

VB4 is an obsolete version of an obsolete (and hideous) language. I really suggest you move to a real programming language. Even the related VB.NET is a vast improvement over the classic VB series.

VBScript is very rarely a viable option for anything client-side, since it will only run on Internet Explorer on Windows. It's possible that this could be done with VBScript or Javascript and ActiveX, but the solution would be IE5+/Win-only, and so not worth the effort, and certainly not usable in a real application or site unless said application or site were to be accessed only from an intranet where the operating environment is very limited. You'd also need to set the client's machine's security settings very low in order for it to run.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!