Thread: friendly urls

Thanks

Default friendly urls

Hello,

I've managed to make friendly urls, but there's a slight problem with it heres an example what i get:

http://www.gamerspot.co.uk/news_area...20IV%20Delay!/

but as you can see, it displays the news title with "%20" which makes the url look messy. And what i want it to look like:

http://www.gamerspot.co.uk/news_area...GTA:IV-Delay!/

And my .htaccess code looks like this:

Code:
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule view_article/newsID/(.*)/title/(.*)/ view_article.html?newsID=$1&title=$2
    RewriteRule view_article/newsID/(.*)/title/(.*) view_article.html?newsID=$1&title=$2
    Is there a way that would get rid of "%20" and replace it with either "-" or "+" ?

Ben

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Rather than using a full version of the title, it's easier for users to remember if you "slugify" it, removing unneccessary punctuation (which also tends to look ugly in URLs):
    Code:
    function slugify($str) {
      return strtolower(preg_replace(array('/ /', '/\W/'), array('/-/', ''), $str));
    }
    Also, IMO, your URLs are too long. You can remove the variable names for a start, as well as having view_article be a sensible default action for articles, and end up with an URL that looks like /news_area/article/1/ps3-caused-gta-iv-delay.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

where do i put that code ?