Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill IE, please.

Thanks

Default Kill IE, please.

I have a virus infested XP partition on my macbook. I don't use it nor do I care if if it has the virus, and I don't want to deal with resetting at the moment. I have a program I need to run on XP, not OSX, for class, and I'm fed up with the stupid popups. I don't use IE, and I don't care if it disables any application support-- again, I'm not using it for anything.

How can I just kill IE so it stops doing this?

If I just delete the application, Microsoft, genius as it is, puts it right back.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

See the Wikipedia article. Looks like your best bet would be to create a custom installation disk with nLite then reinstall Windows from that.

Personally, I think you'd be better off using Darwine or some such.

What's the application? There might be a clone available.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

You have to go to the Control Panel, then click on "Add/Remove Windows...". It will ask you to put the XP disk in, then from there you can choose to uninstall IE.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

you need to find the uninstall file, and run that script and it will be gone.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192852/EN-US/

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192852/EN-US/
    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 Macintosh Edition
    • Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0c for Macintosh
    • Microsoft Outlook Express 4.0 for Macintosh
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 for Macintosh
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.5 for Macintosh
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 for Macintosh
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 for Macintosh
    You have to go to the Control Panel, then click on "Add/Remove Windows...". It will ask you to put the XP disk in, then from there you can choose to uninstall IE.
    This will remove IE from various program listings and set something else as the default browser, but IE will still be there, and the malware can still use it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Alright. Thanks for the ideas. By the time I do any of that, might as well reformat the partition anyway. I'll do that sometime this week.

I'm using Rosetta Stone for language. I can run it through an emulator on OSX, but this causes a very strange problem with the microphone; it reads at about half speed, so it sounds something like "he--e--e-llll-oooooo--oh"...not very helpful in determining if my pronunciation is decent.

EDIT: And now I've disabled basically every form of scripting in IE, so it won't be bugging me any more.
    Last edited by djr33; 10-22-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Is it your microphone? If it is, make sure its plugged into the Microphone Input and that any effects for it are turned off. Also make sure that it isn't to loud. I have a lot of experiance with microphones *because I record my drums and guitar often...*

Thanks

It works just fine on the windows partition and in OSX. It's some weird processor delay in the emulator. Wish it was that simple.

Thanks

the only reason why I use IE one time every month is because i sometimes run into a site thats IE only, because it needs active x controls. i remember trying before to download some plugin for ff so i can visit active x pages, but it didnt work.
    My Web Site
    Japan Town

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Something I figured I'd just throw into this discussion. As far as I know, Internet Explorer (the web browser) and Windows Explorer (the file manager/desktop) are so inextricably bound together under XP that they are virtually the same program.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate