Advanced Search

Thread: Difference between GIF and SWF

Thanks

Default Difference between GIF and SWF

Hi Guys,

I have created and flash animation. I have been told to create two files. a GIF file and a SWF file!
    I want to know, what is the difference between them. I file is 1Mb and the other one is just 80K. Which one to upload?

Thanks

gif is just an image....
    swf is a flash movie

Thanks

Flash movies are programmable and interactive; you can set durations, looping, user-based events, time-based events and respond in a number of ways, as well as parse all of this into a behavior, like navigating the window to a different page.

GIF images are just images, but they are animated. They are also limited to 256 colors and, aside from the limited colors, full quality/lossless, so they are usually quite large.

The advantage to GIFs is simple: If small enough, they are a convenient way to display something on your page that will work in all [image-enabled] browsers. Downsides: low quality, slow loading times/jumpy if too large, no customization beyond frame duration and simple looping (zero/number/infinite times through the entire loop, no customization beyond that).

Flash is very... well.. flashy. It's appealing and has potential, but it has some major downsides: requires flash installed and your site will have an annoying 'download plugin' warning. It's also a steep learning curve in some ways, and can be misused/overused a lot.

If you need flash, use flash. If you can get away with anything else (javascript, gif, whatever) that's better in 99% of the cases, I would say. If you must use flash, then it can be a good tool.

In some cases, it just is a bad idea to have such complex graphics on a site, though I'm not saying that applies to your plans.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

thanks a lot guys.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Flash movies are programmable and interactive; you can set durations, looping, user-based events, time-based events and respond in a number of ways, as well as parse all of this into a behavior, like navigating the window to a different page.
    You missed the most obvious one: Flash is primarily vector-based.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Oh, not only that.

Flash is vector based and using code to store the animation, so it can result in a much smaller file, as well as being able to use bitmap images and other media, without storing it explicitly as pixels.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

how im going to convert swf file to gif?
    thanks

Thanks

I believe Flash has an export option.
    If you are using a 3rd party application, you'll need to find one that allows this.
    SWF isn't really an easy format to edit, so there's no easy answer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir_eg9 View Post
    how im going to convert swf file to gif?
    thanks
    5th link down
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result