Thread: C++ -- +?+

Thanks

Default C++ -- +?+

Hey, I was wondering is C++ easy to take on?
    I know the following scripts:
    HTML - I know it pretty well...
    CSS - I know better than PHP but a tiny bit less than HTML
    Javascript - not much...
    Flash - not really I just have a little experience drawing stuff.
    Php - More than Javascript, less than CSS, but overal its fresh in my mind...
    xml - I can understand it as long as it makes sense...

I don't know where to start out with C++... if anyone knows it that would be cool to give some in site on how it looks or how easy it is to learn.

Thanks

PHP is syntactically a very easy language. Javascript is harder, I think (though it's heightened by browser compatibility issues).
    So, I don't know why you are better at PHP (might just be a focus), but I think C++ is harder than PHP, though possibly easier (again, syntactically) than javascript.
    Haven't used it much myself.
    Go for it. Why not?

Though you should compare it to Java for your purposes as the two overlap in functionality in many ways and Java can do some things C++ can't or isn't geared toward.
    From my limited experience, though, I think I like C++ better.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

C++ is more complex than something like Java or JavaScript. I would recommend becoming comfortable programming simple programs in JavaScript before moving onto a fully fledged programming language.

Java, I think isn't too hard to grasp, and the nice thing is that there is a lot of documentation on the language. All you have to do is google search "CLASSNAME java", and you will get most of the info you need straight of the java.sun.com (official) pages. Don't worry if you don't know what CLASSNAME is right now. Here's a java tutorial: http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

I would recommend using something called an IDE to program Java or C++. (IDE's are programs that help you program. Believe me, they help tremendously.) For Java, I use JBuilder. It's free and good: http://cc.codegear.com/free/turbojbuilder

To tell you the truth, I'm currently learning the basics of C++ right now in a class, and I can tell you that it is not as friendly as Java. (Part of that might be attributed to the fact that I don't like my C++ IDE as much as my Java one.)

In all, I like Java significantly more than C++, and so do most people I know that know both languages.
    Last edited by Trinithis; 09-28-2007 at 05:30 AM.
    Trinithis

Thanks

Different than my limited impressions. I'll assume I'm wrong then
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In all, I like Java significantly more than C++, and so do most people I know that know both languages.
    I'm ambivalent... they're both fair enough languages in the right contexts. Java is certainly easier.
    To tell you the truth, I'm currently learning the basics of C++ right now in a class, and I can tell you that it is not as friendly as Java. (Part of that might be attributed to the fact that I don't like my C++ IDE as much as my Java one.)
    The Eclipse IDE handles both Java and C++ development. Try it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

yea im still in highschool but in tech i worked with c++ last year, and that was pretty much my first expiriance at programming, i didn't think it was that hard, that was using microsoft visual studio 2003.

Thanks

Twey, I got eclipse, and I do like it better than Dev-C++. Would you happen to know if there is an option to enable syntax checking as I type instead of at compile time?
    Trinithis

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think so (Eclipse' C++-checking rules are very comprehensive, I think too comprehensive to run every time you type a symbol). You can check on demand without compiling though.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!