Thread: gAjax RSS Ticker - title too long in IE7

Thanks

Default gAjax RSS Ticker - title too long in IE7

1) Script Title: gAjax RSS Ticker

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...xrssticker.htm

3) Describe problem: The ticker works perfectly in Firefox, and if the title of the feed is too long, it doesn't muck up the overall page layout.

However, when viewing the same page in Internet Explorer 7, if the title overflows, it pushes all the page elements down, which completely throws the page out.

Is there any way to restrict the title length, or ensure the format doesn't affect the other page elements?

I have the ticker in a table 1x1 embedded within another table (I designed the page using Fireworks and allowed a slice for the ticker)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

You can limit the length of the title by editting the variable:

Code:
    feeds[i].title
    inside feedfetcher.js to something like:

Code:
    feeds[i].title.substring(0, 25)
    where the "25" means display the 1st 25 characters of the title.

Thanks

Is it also possible to limit the characters displayed when 'description' is enabled please?
    I tried adding the above to
    feeds[i].content
    feeds[i].contentSnippet
    in feedfetcher but it didnt work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ah my bad. Since you're using gAjax ticker here, the .js file you need to edit is actually gajaxticker.js:

Code:
    function formatrssmessage(feedslice, showoptions, itemcontainer, linktarget){
    	var rssoutput=(itemcontainer=="<li>")? "<ul>\n" : "" //if "itemcontainer" is set to "<li>", define a "<ul>" tag to wrap around the result
    	for (var i=0; i<feedslice.length; i++){ //Loop through the entered slice of a RSS feed (1 or more entries)
    		var itemtitle="<a href=\"" + feedslice[i].link + "\" target=\"" + linktarget + "\" class=\"titlefield\">" + feedslice[i].title.substring(0, 25) + "</a>"
    		var itemlabel=/label/i.test(showoptions)? '<span class="labelfield">['+feedslice[i].ddlabel+']</span>' : " "
    		var itemdate=gfeedfetcher._formatdate(feedslice[i].publishedDate, showoptions)
    		var itemdescription=/description/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].content.substring(0, 100) : /snippet/i.test(showoptions)? "<br />"+feedslice[i].contentSnippet.substring(0, 100)  : ""
    		rssoutput+=itemcontainer + itemtitle + " " + itemlabel + " " + itemdate + "\n" + itemdescription + itemcontainer.replace("<", "</") + "\n\n"
    	}
    	rssoutput+=(itemcontainer=="<li>")? "</ul>\n" : ""
    	return rssoutput
    }
    The changes are in red and to cover trimming both the title and description. For your convenience you can just replace the original formatrssmessage() function with the above.

Thanks

FANTASTIC !

Thank you very much. I wouldnt have had time to keep visitors updated with news, now i can. Excellent.

Thanks

Default Thanks!

That's excellent, I will try that, thanks so much!