View Poll Results: Favorite Genre of Music

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock - Includes light, alternitive, and classic...

6 27.27%
  • Hip hop - I can't think of any hip hop artists

4 18.18%
  • Rap - 50 Cent and stuff

1 4.55%
  • Metal - Metallica/Megadeth

10 45.45%
  • Death Metal - Everything heavier than Hatebreed

7 31.82%
  • Crunk - Again Can't think of any crunk artists

1 4.55%
  • Other stuff *please list it...*

11 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genre of Music

Thanks

Default Genre of Music

Sup yo? I wanted to just find out what everyone's listening too... I've been a metal/heavy metal fan for a couple of years; I go from Metallica to Lamb of God over like 3 months (its gradual transition...)

I posted some of the most popular stuff...

Post your favorite band... that would be awesome... cuz sometimes people think its to light or heavy... *idk why this happens...*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I picked 'other', as my favorite genre at the moment is Jazz. A number of years back I preferred classical - actual Classical music for orchestra, chamber groups, solo, etc. Earlier (much earlier) still, I was a Rock and Acid Rock fan.

My current favorite artist is Miles Davis. During my Classical period I really enjoyed Brahms, Eric Satie, and Beethoven, but there are so many, and most have at least one or two really 'stand out' works. In my Rock era - Jefferson Airplane, Moody Blues, Floyd, and King Crimson. I've always liked Folk too. Quiet has a lot going for it as well.

I really like all music except those pieces which strike me as idiotic, malicious, and/or as excessively dissonant. Rap, Country, Modern Classical, and Opera often fall into one or the other of those categories for me, as does some Jazz. If the piece is artistic enough, I will overlook any or all of these criteria and still like it regardless of genre.

To each his own though. For the most part, the understanding and appreciation of any type of music is a positive force in anyone's life.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've typically listened to a lot of baroque music, as well as some classical -- a friend introduced me to Bach's fugues, which I liked a lot, and I've always enjoyed modern baroque (-inspired?) artists such as Michael Nyman.
    Recently because of my involvement with Japanese culture and people who are "into" Japanese culture I've been listening to quite a bit of Japanese music, although a lot of this is difficult to classify -- it all seems to be classified as "J-Pop" or "J-Rock," even though it may differ hugely in style, and the terms themselves are inaccurate at best since very few Japanese songs (that I've found) fit a definition of what I as a Brit would call "pop" music. Of these, my favourite artists have to be 元ちとせ and Rie fu, although I will also listen to something completely different (e.g. 妖精帝国) when the mood takes me. I'm also a big fan of 松居慶子, who plays a kind of soft jazz.

I've found pieces I like scattered all over the musical spectrum, though, with the only exception being rap: I've never yet found a rap song I enjoy.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Oh yeah i did forget to add jazz... my bad...

Thanks

Other, for classical/soundtracks. Not too into music but soundtracks are cool.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

wut about techno, dance, drum'n'bass,... I chose other...
    Hey new design new look, goto xudas for personal webdsign help.. (:

Thanks

Thanks

I'd say this poll clearly reflects your personal tastes in music, rockonmetal
    Gotta think of broader categories for the whole population of a largely international site, esecially.
    Most of the options up there are practically in the same genre (ie, Rap and Hip Hop), at least to many people. sure, they differ, but not like rock and classical, etc.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah, when two thirds of voters use the "other" column the poll needs a little work.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    I've typically listened to a lot of baroque music, as well as some classical -- a friend introduced me to Bach's fugues, which I liked a lot, and I've always enjoyed modern baroque (-inspired?) artists such as Michael Nyman. Recently because of my involvement with Japanese culture . . .
    Why am I not surprised? Asian & baroque music are generally well structured, beautiful, and well meaning. I really like baroque, but prefer something with more of an impressionist twist, the artist giving something deeply personal.

To all -

When discussing music, it's almost always fun to find others with similar tastes, and almost as often, those with different tastes. Just try to remember that, for some people, the music they love is the only thing that matters.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate