Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Woah. Found this vid, worth a watch!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Woah. Found this vid, worth a watch!

    This is a great video, and pretty much sums up our future and present day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEnFwiqdx8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    842
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 132 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    What a great find! But now that video is probably outdated, even though it was only made about half a year ago.

    Very interesting statistics though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 319 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Oh not that stupid video again. “India has more honor kids than America has kids” and the argument is that their population is larger. Manipulating statistics to get their message across. Sure, the message might be true, but don't try to fool me with that bullshit. (Sorry for the rant xiofire, it's not towards you, but towards the creators of that video.)
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    Oh not that stupid video again. “India has more honor kids than America has kids” and the argument is that their population is larger. Manipulating statistics to get their message across. Sure, the message might be true, but don't try to fool me with that bullshit. (Sorry for the rant xiofire, it's not towards you, but towards the creators of that video.)
    Your thinking too hard. All the video author was doing was highlighting the fact that India has a massive population, not calling America stupid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 319 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xiofire View Post
    Your thinking too hard.
    There's no such thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by xiofire View Post
    All the video author was doing was highlighting the fact that India has a massive population, not calling America stupid.
    Then why talk about honor kids?
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    Oh not that stupid video again. “India has more honor kids than America has kids” and the argument is that their population is larger. Manipulating statistics to get their message across. Sure, the message might be true, but don't try to fool me with that bullshit. (Sorry for the rant xiofire, it's not towards you, but towards the creators of that video.)
    I think you're missing the point (or at least misunderstanding it), Snookerman. I don't see what manipulation is going on here. It's just simple arithmetic. India has more kids under the age of 18 than the entire US population (i.e. more than 300 million). So, it stands to reason that if you take the top achievers in India (defined as the top 25% in that video), that number would be larger than the total population under the age of 18 in the US.

    It's just a qualitative analysis. The point is that US's comparative advantage is diminishing. I always hear rhetoric about the decline of the US. I think complete BS. Whoever says that, doesn't fully understand geopolitics or economics, I feel. The change that's happening is that countries like India, China, Brazil, etc... are rising - the US isn't "falling".

    In any case, there is no denying that the average high-school educated Indian probably has a greater grasp of science and math than the average high-school educated American. When I see surveys that an insane number (I believe it was 60% the last I heard of it - which was a few years ago) of people in the US cannot identify Iraq on a map, I seriously feel ashamed to be in this country. How in the world can you be that ignorant?

    Edit - found the article re: geography : http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/
    I think there is a newer survey as well.
    Last edited by Medyman; 05-14-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added link

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    842
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 132 Times in 131 Posts

    Default

    To further your point, here is one of those videos that shows the ignorance of some Americans. It's disappointing but highly entertaining at the same time

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6r1IcY1pv0

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,023
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 319 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    the top achievers in India (defined as the top 25% in that video)
    Therein lies the problem. A higher population does not imply higher intelligence. While the statement might be correct, the argument behind it is weak, and that is what bugs me.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    Therein lies the problem. A higher population does not imply higher intelligence. While the statement might be correct, the argument behind it is weak, and that is what bugs me.
    Very true. A larger population does not imply smarter citizens. But, that's not the argument here. The argument is India has a ton of kids. The 25% marker is one that's popularly used in US school systems, I believe. At least, I remember it was in my high school, though somewhat indirectly.

    I can understand where you're coming from though and I have to agree with your general point. In fact, the average "intelligence" (however you want to measure it) of an US high schoolers vs. an Indian high schooler is probably fairly comparable (if not higher of the US) just by the virtue of the fact that illiteracy is higher in Indian than in the US. But, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a general population as apathetic as that in the US. To have all the resources available to us and still not be able to leverage them is kind of pathetic if you ask me.

    Maybe we, as Americans, just take it for granted?
    Last edited by Medyman; 05-15-2009 at 01:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopy View Post
    To further your point, here is one of those videos that shows the ignorance of some Americans. It's disappointing but highly entertaining at the same time

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6r1IcY1pv0
    LOL. That's great.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •