Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perform Function when...

Thanks

Default Perform Function when...

I was wondering if PHP can perform a function when a link, button, or something is pressed...
    Heres what I want todo...
    Heres the HTML page code *its still in development stages but who really cares...*

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <!-- Style Stuff -->
    </head>
    <body>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td>Menu:
    <ul class="menu">
    <li><a href="Tutorial/1/Introduction/" target="phpincludediv">Intro to PHP</li>
    <li><a href="Tutorial/2/Introduction/" target="phpincludediv">What you need to run PHP</li>
    </ul></td>
    <td>Tutorial Below:
    <?php 
    //Stuff here that says:
    //If link going to or named "url/blank" then do this...
    include("Tutorial/1/Introduction/index.php");
    //Else
    include("News/new.php");
    ?>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No. PHP scripts are run at request time: they can only respond to request data. If you want to pass data to a PHP script, you have to either submit a form to the PHP script in question, in which case the form data is passed along with the request and available to the script in the $_GET or $_POST arrays (or the $_REQUEST array, which is a combination of $_GET, $_POST and $_COOKIE) or use Javascript to process the event and display the result, possibly using the XMLHttpRequest object to retrieve the data from the PHP script. Note, however, that this usually involves some fairly involved Javascript, and requires careful and elegant design to be accessible.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

OK... thanks man...
    I can't do it, cuz my client won't accept any javascript *he hates it...* same here...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Javascript is actually a fairly decent language. What it is is very flexible, and thus open to abuse. Most of the time, bad Javascript code stems from bad design patterns (like writing a Javascript function without a pure HTML/server-side backup), rather than actual language flaws. Used properly, it can dramatically enhance a site, without losing any accessibility.

Either way, the form submission route is still open to you.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

k... but my client still won't accept any javascript...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Javascript was only one option of two that I gave you. I was discussing Javascript purely as an aside, and on that note alone you should talk to your client about this preference. Practically, in terms of your project, the form submission method will be fine and Javascript is entirely unnecessary, although it could be used to enhance the interface.

Thanks

(or the $_REQUEST array, which is a combination of $_GET, $_POST and $_COOKIE)
    it also contains variables of $_SERVER

Thanks

SERVER is not included. (Nor is SESSION.)

Quote Originally Posted by php.net
    Note: Prior to PHP 4.3.0, $_FILES information was also included in $_REQUEST.

An associative array consisting of the contents of $_GET, $_POST, and $_COOKIE.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

oops, okay its not. learn something new every day. thanks mate

Thanks

Indeed. When I read your post, I was unsure, so I wanted to check it. I was also thinking that the SESSION array was included.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum