Thread: Charging Credit Cards

Thanks

Default Charging Credit Cards

Ok I want to learn how to do this so if I want to put a product up on my site, they can buy it with either a credit card, debt card, paypal, or money order.

I think a money order is very simple. They send you the money you send them the product after you recieve the money.

Now I am guessing that charging people's credit/debt cards and or their paypal is not some simple function...

I'm guessing you probably have to get a site hacker button, that thing that says "Hacker Proof, tested daily..."

How can I get to do this:
    1. Please tell me what I need inorder to do this... like I need php, mysql, etc
    2. What steps do I have to take, say like I have to talk to the credit card company, in order to charge customers that click buy it...

Thanks!

P.S This product is a membership to a site costing $15 per year.

Thanks

I'm guessing you probably have to get a site hacker button, that thing that says "Hacker Proof, tested daily..."
    lmao sorry i just cant help but laff at hacker proof.
    nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing is hacker proof, but on that note you can make it very difficult for a malicious user to gain access to your information.
    now on that note, it is usually wise that you use an outside source for processing credit/debit cards in this fashion, especially if you do not have any experience, like the PayPal... and there are other companies that provide the same service.

however if you do decide to do some type of processing, I would VERY strongly suggest that you DO NOT ever store someone's credentials in a database. It will protect the integrity of the user's credentials, because if for some reason someone was able to get into your system, they would not have direct access to a list of that personal information... and you might even be help negligent depending on if someone sued you, and your precautions, so it's always better just not to store the cc information at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

For PayPal, all you need to do is to setup a merchant account with them on their website, they will make code available to you that links to their site for secure processing of your orders, once your transactions clear, you can then withdraw your funds from their site. I imagine that credit and debit card companies are similar, but probably require server side code like PHP or asp on your end. They all take a 'cut'. PayPal accepts transfers from other PayPal accounts, electronic checks, credit, and debit cards though, so you could route those through them. That's what I do for a few sites that I master that sell event tickets.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 09-10-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Ok thanks... i will check that out...