Thread: Ulimate Fade-in Slideshow - force to load last

Thanks

Default Ulimate Fade-in Slideshow - force to load last

1) Ulimate Fade-in Slideshow

2) Script URL (on DD):
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

Hi, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. I think this more a problem that I don't know javascript than it is with the slideshow.

The slideshow is working great, I would just like to have it be the last thing that loads on the page. I sort of know how to force an image to load last, but not a script like this.

How would I go about that, please?

web page in question: http://ccnorth.org

thanks,
    Kitty

P.S. Either that, or how do I force the background image to load FIRST? Either way solves the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

The script needs to load when its turn comes in the order of the page being parsed by the browser, but I'm not certain that's your problem.

The only thing that would make a problem on the sort of page you gave as your example is that the images would take awhile to preload on a slow connection. You could cut down on that by optimizing them, as they are on average 5 times as many bytes as they need to be. The byte load can be reduced without sacrificing image size or apparent quality.

Another approach would be to switch to incremental preloading as with:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...army/index.htm

Which can be made to otherwise look and act just like the script that you are using.

Doing both things would greatly increase the speed at which the page loads.

If, on the other hand, you just want to delay the start of the slide show and aren't at all concerned with the time it takes for the page to load, that could be worked out.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thank you, John. The Swiss Army script is working great. I think both are fantastic.

Now I have just one more thing to ask. I am not able to get the images aligned to the right rather than centered.

I opened the swissarmy.js file (which I've renamed to 'slideshow.js') and did a search&replace to change all align="center" to align="right". I also put a right alignment in the div which contains the slideshow on my page. No luck, all images are still centered rather than on the right.

What else can I try?

thanks again!
    Kitty
    Last edited by KittyR; 09-02-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, first undo all the changes that didn't achieve the alignment that you were looking for or start from a fresh copy of the external script.

Now, from looking at your demo page, which you haven't (at this writing) updated to the swiss army script, I see that you want the slideshow to appear to the right of the otherwise empty area alloted for it.

If you are using the same basic layout as you had for the other slideshow, just add this to your stylesheet:

Code:
    #slides div {
    width:270px;
    }
    270 being the width of the slideshow. I mocked this up locally here and that did the trick. If you are still having problems, post a link to the page that demonstrates the problem.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Yes, that did the trick. And thanks for reminding me to optimize the images.

It's a great script; thanks for all your time creating it!

Kitty

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nice! I love it when things work out that simply. One thing that you might want to add to these is (red):

Code:
    slides.no_descriptions=1;
    slides.pause=1;
    slides.random=1;
    slides.no_controls=1;
    slides.no_added_linebreaks=1;
    - John