Thread: Switch Content; have rest of content flow in place of contracted element

Thanks

Question Switch Content; have rest of content flow in place of contracted element

Script: Switch Content Script
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...tchcontent.htm

I love this script.. thank you for it.

i'm wondering if it's possible to use it in such a way that when a block of content is hidden, then other content around it spills into that unused space...

i have a column in which is floated a large block surrounded in divs -- like a giant pullout quote in the middle of an article... i'm able to use the switch content script very nicely to make that block disappear and reappear.. BUT the space that the block occupies remains.. the text around it doesn't fill in like it would if the block were not there to begin with.
    am i making sense? is there a way to achieve this?

'would be much appreciated....

Thanks

Question

i don't know enough to know how to ue this information, but i have noticed that hovering over some elements on the page, such as certain links, will 'reset' everything.. that is, if i have activated the 'hide' on the 'pullout quote', then that gap/blank space is there where the 'pullout quote' was.. but then if i hover a link in my top navigation, for instance, then the surrounding text will fill into that blank space.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 3,189 Posts
    Blog Entries

So, what you are saying is that you have more than one script on this page? In any case, the script works the way you say you want it to, at least that is how the demo looks to me. To see what is making it act otherwise on your page:
    PLEASE: Include the URL to your problematic webpage that you want help with.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-12-2005 at 01:50 AM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

:-/ sorry.. i would have included the URL, but it's locally developed right now and a big mess at current.. i can try to post parts of the css and html if that might help..

on other parts of the page where i am using the script just on headers and subsequent text, then yes the rest of the content flows around it and there are never any gaps.

i figure that the gap being left behind is due to the pullout quote is due to floats and maybe additional divs.

....upon further exploration and trying it on four different browsers... i find that this appears to be an Opera situation. text flows into the would-be-blank space on the other browsers. i suppose there's not an easy fix, then... i'll keep playing around with it.. thanks for letting me talk it out, anyway