Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/B Split Testing code? --

Thanks

Default A/B Split Testing code? --

I did a search for this on this site -- came up with nothing, surprisingly.

Anyone have this code?

Thanks.

-- TW

Thanks

Incredibly vague. What are you asking?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,383 Posts
    Blog Entries

Code:
    if(A){
    do something
    }
    else if(B){
    do something else
    }
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Default Vague? -- Huh?

Huh?

Vague?

Umm -- it's a standard term that has been around forever.

That's what makes the fact that ther is no code on this site for that purpose all the more astounding.

In its simplest form, Visitor A sees site A, visitor B sees site B, visitor C sees site A, visitor D sees site B -- etc.

Then the results of the two sites are compared.

Often it's used to test one headline against another.

You can find out more at any of these sites (or just do a google search)...

http://www.absplittesting.com/

this one from google sems to be free
    http://services.google.com/websiteoptimizer

http://www.a-b-split-test.com/

http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=13979

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think what djr33 meant, if I may presume, is that your original question was vague. If you had started with your more recent response, things would certainly would have been clearer.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Not hard at all.

<?php setcookie('splitstart',$_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']); ?>
    On every of your possible start pages.

On the target page, use:

<?php
    ///mysql database:
    mysql_query('INSET INTO....');
    ///flat file:
    $f = fopen('file.txt','a+); fwrite($f,$_COOKIE['splitstart']); fclose($f);
    ?>

Something like that, anyway.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Umm -- it's a standard term that has been around forever.
    No, it's a buzzword that one of those advertisers most likely made up on the spot. Standard sales practice.

For the record, I don't advise using this concept: it's liable to confuse your users.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Umm -- yes, a/b split testing is a term that has been around forever. I believe it's a newspaper term -- It is standard advertising practice in print advertising, and has been for at least the last 50 years -- maybe the last 100 years.

It was certainly being used (and, yes, with that name (a/b split testing)) since before most of you were born.

It's one thing to not know marketing terms -- but to believe there was no universe before the web/internet, is quite another.

That term 'a/b split testing' is 100&#37; common + basic both with internet marketers and offline marketers --- both today and yesteryear.

Again, that's why it's surprising that it hasn't come up before (w/code) on this site.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is not a marketing or print media site. It was originally a vague, minimalistic question. Don't assume that folks can always read your mind and know what particular vernacular you are using, or even be aware of it.

None of that really matters though. I see djr33 has offered a solution, or at least an idea of one. Get on track here. Will that work for you or not?
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I did say "most likely." My assessment thus was based on the fact that you appeared to be basing your knowledge of the subject on a few dodgy-looking "buy our project" sites.
    It's one thing to not know marketing terms -- but to believe there was no universe before the web/internet, is quite another.
    Now there's a conclusion requiring quite the leap of faith How'd you reach this one then?
    That term 'a/b split testing' is 100&#37; common + basic both with internet marketers and offline marketers --- both today and yesteryear.
    It's certainly not a common term outside the suit-and-tie clique -- I'd never heard it before today.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!