}
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Code:
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.DropShadow(OffX=10, OffY=10, Positive=false);
    Filters are proprietary, however, and will only work in IE with ActiveX.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hmph. Then why does:
    Code:
    body {
    filter: blur(direction=90, add=0, strength=10);
    }
    work in Firefox? And please check your PMs.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

within my knowledge, filter often works fine on IE, a little works on FF. Some have different result between IE & Firefox, such as the filter control image opaticy...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hmph. Then why does [the Blur filter] work in Firefox?
    It doesn't.
    within my knowledge, filter often works fine on IE, a little works on FF.
    As I said, it's purely an IE proprietary property -- they're basically just badly-written interfaces to DirectX functions. No other browser supports filters at all.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but if you squint your eyes . . . I wouldn't rule out the possibility of other browsers supporting some or all of the IE proprietary filters. Opera now has limited support for scrollbar styles, using the same syntax as IE, but these are not filters. Other reasons why a particular IE proprietary filter might appear to work in another browser:

1. IE emulation - at least some recent versions of two browsers that I am aware of (NS and FF) either have built into them or can have added to them an IE emulation mode.
    2. Accidental syntax cross pollination - this is a made up on the spot term that I mean to say that some browser, somewhere, may have its own way of doing something and that the IE proprietary syntax or one of its possible variants, as used somewhere (in scripting, style, whatever) may trigger that in that browser.
    3. Confusion - you are confusing for example, the blur() object with the IE proprietary filter:blur.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-18-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add 'confusion'
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but if you squint your eyes . . .
    Heh
    I wouldn't rule out the possibility of other browsers supporting some or all of the IE proprietary filters.
    None are supported -- I did double-check after techno_race seemed so certain that Blur worked in Fx, but I can't find any mentions of filters in other browsers.
    Opera now has limited support for scrollbar styles, using the same syntax as IE
    Konqueror too.
    IE emulation - at least some recent versions of two browsers that I am aware of (NS and FF) either have built into them or can have added to them an IE emulation mode.
    Dean Edwards' IE emulation script, is this is what you mean, doesn't handle filters.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Dean Edwards' IE emulation script, is this is what you mean, doesn't handle filters.
    Never heard of it that I can recall. What I was referring to are recent NS versions that do an IE mode and the FF extension that may or may not be current to FF 2.0+ (I did try it out in FF 1.0.5 or so, I have no reason to emulate IE in FF) that allows FF to do the same.

Both of these require an installed IE on the partition/vm/whatever, and probably under Windows only.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 08-18-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: usage
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ah -- that's not IE emulation, that's actual IE, running in the browser's interface. I thought you meant this one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Ah -- that's not IE emulation
    Picky, picky. It really is IE emulation though. My reason for saying so is that it doesn't render exactly as IE would, just pretty much. The fact that it uses dll's and whatnot from an installed IE browser doesn't make it 'not an emulation'. It just isn't a 'stand alone' (not to be confused with the misnamed evolt browsers of the same designation, which also require an installed IE and therefore do not truly 'stand alone') emulation.
    - John