Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with IE 7 & JavaScript code

Thanks

Default Problem with IE 7 & JavaScript code

I am assisting a friend who is a photographer to build her website and we are using a code from one of her professor's sites as the basis for her menu. The problem I am having is that the menu is not displaying properly using IE 7. I have not noticed any problems with Mozilla or IE 6. The problem is that the names do not line up with the drop down area when using IE 7 and I am unsure where the error might be.

Can anyone help me?

The site is http://www.photosbyjlynn.com/test/main.html

Just take a look at the source code there and if you have any ideas I would love the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

The easiest road home would be to throw all browsers into quirks mode by removing your DOCTYPE, as it looks like that is (for the most part) how the markup and code was intended to be rendered.

In other words, get rid of this:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    Replace it with:

Code:
    <html>
    There are other ways, probably even (though not necessarily) better ways, but that is most likely the easiest.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Doing so, unfortunately, should remove any hopes of having future-proof or cross-browser code you may entertain.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Or, you could add a comment tag right before the doctype, so it forces IE into Quirks Mode. (Though I'm not sure if this works in IE7)

Code:
    <!-- Quirks Mode for IE - Dump IE now! -->
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Doing so, unfortunately, should remove any hopes of having future-proof or cross-browser code you may entertain.
    Did you see the code? It's all tag soup and outdated javascript. 'Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here'.

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    Or, you could add a comment tag right before the doctype, so it forces IE into Quirks Mode. (Though I'm not sure if this works in IE7)

Code:
    <!-- Quirks Mode for IE - Dump IE now! -->
    That does appear to (in limited testing here, just now) still do it in IE 7.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I can't lie. I am not suprised it is tag soup. I am by far and wide an amatuer at coding. Thank you all for the ideas and if you think of anything else please dont hesitate to let me know. I will try the ideas as soon as I am back at my testing setup. Again, I appreciate the help alot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The validator would be a good starting point to fixing your pages. Aim for HTML 4.01 Strict.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    The validator would be a good starting point to fixing your pages. Aim for HTML 4.01 Strict.
    That is one very good way to get started toward understanding and implementing good standards compliant cross browser code. But, it isn't a simple process, no matter how one goes about it.

That fact is no reason not to pursue such a goal. I think Twey and I, as well as others would be willing to help along the way by answering specific questions toward that end.

I would like to add that I had my tongue in my cheek when I typed:

'Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here'.
    For two reasons - code like that, or at least not too dissimilar than that could stand the test of time, and (somewhat conversely) no matter how bad the code is, there is no reason why it couldn't be made standards compliant, should you choose to do so and applied yourself to that objective.
    - John

Thanks

Ok so I chose HTML 4.01 Transitional and have gone through the code to fix it up a bit. I have tested it on Firefox and so far it looks fine in IE to me. Will you guys please give it a run through and see if you find anything? I would really appreciate the help.

Ok I did some more editing to clean up a bit of code and found that if I remove the doctype I get the results I want from the top. The rest of the document is html 4.01 transitional validated except that part. Any ideas?

Newt
    Last edited by andernew; 08-27-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by w3c validator
    DOCTYPE Override in effect!

The DOCTYPE Declaration for "HTML 4.01 Transitional" has been inserted at the start of the document, but even if no errors are shown below the document will not be Valid until you add the new DOCTYPE Declaration.
    With that, it would be valid HTML 4.01 Transitional. There are some problems. In FF use:

tools > error console

to see some suggestions.

You can also view this page (css validator):

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...st%2Fmain.html
    - John