Advanced Search

Thread: Freespire programs

Thanks

Default Freespire programs

Okay. One of my freinds is wanting to try linux and I was thinking Freespire. But I don't wanna have to put alot of my time into this and I was wondering what programs came with the OS. If anyone knows...
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

I don't know.
    Try Ubuntu. It has a lot of free software.

Edit: Why don't you look here.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

personally i HATE ubuntu it drives ME insane. but i wont be using the computer long.
    id like a version that has package isntallers (.deb .rpm)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hm, Freespire doesn't look too bad. I'd still go with Fedora though. You're going to get pretty much the same selection of software whatever distribution you choose -- a distribution is pretty much defined by its default configuration and its package manager.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I was thinking about Fedora because its the one I use and it supports the .rpm packages which makes installing programs easier.

Thanks

I use fedora,tell him to email me if he needs any specific help about it.
    boxxertrumps(a)gmail
    frenode.net/fedora is a good channel to get help in too.

I have a list of all available packages for F7, including the livna repo.

Have your friend read the manpage for yum, so he can install programs himself, and you might want to disable ssh in the firewall and halt the service, unless you need it to get into his comp.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've never seen someone actually break into a system via SSHv2... the only attacks I've seen have been "silly password" attempts like root/root, root/r3wt, test/test, &c. I tend to leave SSH running when I go out anywhere in case I need to do something while I'm out.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    I've never seen someone actually break into a system via SSHv2... the only attacks I've seen have been "silly password" attempts like root/root, root/r3wt, test/test, &c. I tend to leave SSH running when I go out anywhere in case I need to do something while I'm out.
    But when a person is predicable this is bad...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Then the better advice would be not, "disable SSH" but, "don't use silly passwords that a trained dog could guess."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Then the better advice would be not, "disable SSH" but, "don't use silly passwords that a trained dog could guess."
    Yea I always tell him 'Always put letters AND numbers in your password and don't make it a pattern.'