Thread: Create thumbnails for images

Thanks

Default Create thumbnails for images

I'm a habitual downloader of free software, assuming it gets rave user reviews.

I've noticed a fair amount of galleries that use thumbnails, in which you need the baby image, and the large image. This software looks beneficial, as it appears to size them properly, vs resizing yourself and getting different sizes.

http://www.download.com/Easy-Thumbna...ml?tag=lst-3-2

Thanks

er.... sure. Do you have a question?
    You can also create macros of some sort in various programs. In Photoshop, they are called actions and you 'record' the steps, then 'play' them. You could do that to generate thumbnails if you wanted.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Photoshop is definitely overkill here... using ImageMagick and bash, you can:
    Code:
    for i in mydir/images/*.png
    do
      convert -sample 100x100 "$i" "`basename $i .png`_thumbnail.png"
    done
    ... to take a directory full of images and convert each one to a 100&#215;100 thumbnail of itself, with _thumbnail appended to the filename. For example, for:
    Code:
    mydir/images/:
      img1.png
      myfile.png
    it would generate:
    Code:
    mydir/images/:
      img1.png
      img1_thumbnail.png
      myfile.png
      myfile_thumbnail.png
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Twey, you're forgetting that people who dont use linux have no idea what bash is...

The op should look at installing this: http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/ if he want to use a shell script to do these things automatically...
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

Ha, if you don't know what bash is, you probably shouldn't do it this way until you learn a bit more on the subject.

Photoshop isn't overkill for Windows users - it gets it done and isn't too complicated.
    Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Twey, you're forgetting that people who dont use linux have no idea what bash is...
    They're web designers, they've almost certainly encountered it, if only on their servers. Besides:
    I'm a habitual downloader of free software
    That ups the likelihood of the OP being a Linux user, I reckon
    Photoshop isn't overkill for Windows users - it gets it done and isn't too complicated.
    It's not (as far as I'm aware; if it does have this feature please do correct me) a batch processing tool and it wasn't designed to be. A directory of a hundred images could take, how long? Certainly longer than doing the same with a simple command-line tool like ImageMagick, if only by the latter's virtue of not having the big complex GUI that must be navigated.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

An action could speed this up a lot.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by antony09 View Post
    Try 3D Thumbnail Generator to create impressive 3D thumbnails. [EDIT: spam removed]
    have you got some other good programs that i can create impressive 3D animations? Would be very thankful. 3D thumbnail generator really is an interesting program.
    Last edited by djr33; 04-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexjewell View Post
    Ha, if you don't know what bash is, you probably shouldn't do it this way until you learn a bit more on the subject.

yeah agree, photoshop isn't a complicated program at all, you can do all sorts of changing graphics or creating new ones. there lots of photoshop versions so i mean there are simpler versions and are newer that have more advantages. so there is to choose.