Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uses for Java?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I never had 2000 or ME (sounds like the same thing).
    No -- Win2k was an NT-based OS, while ME was still based on the 9x series.
    NT was the first OS I used that didn't rely upon DOS as a disk operating system in the traditional way of former Windows machines, but it still did bootstrap from a form of it, as does XP
    NTLDR (the NT LoaDeR, NT's bootloader) isn't DOS, and neither is the "command prompt" program in later versions of Windows (cmd.exe). It's been made to resemble DOS, but it's fairly fundamentally different, reflecting its reduced rôle in the running of the OS -- it's no longer an operating system, for a start, and runs as a program under Windows. The thing I'm unsure about is whether NT still had actual DOS, despite no longer booting from it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,209 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well, it does get confusing. When the machine starts to boot up, you can go into the disk operating system (DOS) rather than launch the GUI, but it isn't DOS (isn't identified as a DOS version) and still has some GUI elements. The command prompt is often thought of as DOS, but it isn't the disk operating system. At the same time, it exhibits many of the capabilities (and in NT, considerably more) of DOS, the historic OS.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Yeah, i have windows ME, sadly enough...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, it does get confusing. When the machine starts to boot up, you can go into the disk operating system (DOS) rather than launch the GUI, but it isn't DOS (isn't identified as a DOS version) and still has some GUI elements.
    You mean TUI elements? Is this in NT?
    The command prompt is often thought of as DOS, but it isn't the disk operating system.
    This is where the confusion arises: in Win9x, it is. The "command prompt" is just a way to interact with an actual DOS shell.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,209 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Blog Entries

To me the confusion arises in MS's having named some rather important things after their generic designations. The two biggest examples of this are using Windows for their versions of windows and DOS for their early versions of disk operating systems.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

If I were to try and create a script that will prepend an append highlighted text with HTML tags (or maybe CSS) by clicking a button I imagine that JavaScript and Java would both work just fine.

If this is just for my own benefit for coding and not for the general public would Java or JavaScript be better? Is one faster or simpler in this regard?

I'll probably head to the bookstore and pick up a book on JavaScript sometime soon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If I were to try and create a script that will prepend an append highlighted text with HTML tags (or maybe CSS) by clicking a button I imagine that JavaScript and Java would both work just fine.
    It would be a lot simpler in Javascript, however. Java applets don't have much access to the document in which they're embedded, by default.
    If this is just for my own benefit for coding and not for the general public would Java or JavaScript be better? Is one faster or simpler in this regard?
    Java is a plugin; thus, it takes longer to load and some people won't have it installed. Javascript is preferable.