Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing credit cards...

Thanks

Alright. Thanks for everyone's help in this.

He's decided that he'll just call them up and ask for the credit card details; or make a transaction through PayPal (or make a direct deposit, money order, cheque, bPay whatever).
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    Sure. But you need to store them the first time, so you can actually bill the account. What would you suggest for that?
    I am assuming you would be generating some type of invoice to make sure that the transaction was completed and payment is received. I would suggest creating a temporary table with the invoice number and the cc number of the payment... when the payment is processed you then wipe out the temporary table and update the invoice information to paid.

also, as an additional thought, while you might not want to store the entire cc, i think its pretty customary to store like the last 4 digits of the cc and the name on the card as a reference in case the claim is disputed, you have something to go on besides the fact that this invoice was paid with a "visa" or whatever type of cc.

Thanks

That seems like a good idea.
    Now, MySQL or PHP Flat files (chmodded so nobody can read it)?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

MySQL would probably be your best bet (beings that it is in a non plain text format). The only thing you would have to worry about is having your database hacked. As for flat files, you have pretty much the risk as that of MySQL except for the fact that the files are basically plain text.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetestingsite
    ...fact that the files are basically plain text.
    If I was going to store it, it'll both be using djr33's reversible encryption anyway.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You'd be better off with a mathematician-designed tried-and-tested industrial standard like AES, which is built into MySQL.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Sounds good. How do I implement/use it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/...on_aes-encrypt

The key should be user-provided -- perhaps part of the user's password, or a hash of the user's password (but not the one you have stored).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thanks for that. I'll look into it.
    So, how secure is this?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Secure enough -- but as said, don't store the whole of the card number. The first four characters should be enough to identify it to the user.